Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hoyer Lift Sling Question- need anterior body support

You really need to have the proper use of this thing demonstrated before you use it on your own - I'd hate for your grandmother to be injured. If you make any changes to the sling, you've voided any warranty that exists. You could speak to Invacare's technical support staff: 1-800-333-6900. Can you practice using this using someone other than your grandmother?
    See figure 7B on page 16 of the manual:,the "BETWEEN" figure - the part of the sling that goes under the left thigh connects to the right side of the spreader bat, and the part under the right thigh crosses over to hook onto the left side of the spreader bar. It sounds like you may be hooking it up like the "UNDERNEATH" figure, which I'd say is incorrect.
    - Richard
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 06-26-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: corrected reference to figure

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    You really need to have the proper use of this thing demonstrated before you use it on your own - I'd hate for your grandmother to be injured. If you make any changes to the sling, you've voided any warranty that exists. You could speak to Invacare's technical support staff: 1-800-333-6900. Can you practice using this using someone other than your grandmother?
    See figure 7B on page 16 of the manual: the part of the sling that goes under the left thigh connects to the right side of the spreader bat, and the part under the right thigh crosses over to hook onto the left side of the spreader bar. It sounds like you may be hooking it up like figure 7C, which I'd say is incorrect.
    - Richard
    Good advice as always rfbdorf.

Hi,

There are many types of slings but you definitely need something that supports the legs. The ones we use are as described above from RFBdorf, where the sling strap criss-crosses so the lower legs are secure. You should refer to the manual for the individual sling but each has a mechanism that secures the leg in place.

Have you checked your manual? Does this make sense to you?

AAd

The manual is really really really not good. It's really for the standard sling. We can practice with me.
    We have a PT. The PT just thinks the petite size sling is too big for my Grandma and she'll fall out the commode hole.

It doesn't sound like your PT really knows a lot about lifts (many do not). Lift slings vary greatly by manufacturer. You can often use different brand slings than the brand of the lift (with a few exceptions). Some (like Liko) have more crossing straps in front of the person than others. Some lifts (like Arjo) have a frame that fits very close to the front of the body, and would also make it less likely for someone who is very agitated or confused to fall out, esp. if they will grasp it when being lifted. When lifting anyone with a sling who is agitated or confused, we require at least 2-3 assistants to be sure that the patient is not injured.

A open bottom sling is the safest to use in order to use for commode or shower chair, and also for getting on/off while seated. If the hole appears too large, have you looked at pediatric slings if your grandmother is tiny??

With this type sling, you can also sometimes make the butt hole smaller (as we do for double amputees) by putting each of the thigh straps under BOTH thighs and then to the frame, instead of each under one thigh and crossing, although this does make it easier for the person to fall out if they struggle during during lifting.

(KLD)

I kinda think this sling IS the right size. We'll try it and see and have lots of people here the first time to make sure that she won't fall through.
    Unfortunately for regular use, there will be one and only one person with her.

Quote Originally Posted by mocusm View Post
    I kinda think this sling IS the right size. We'll try it and see and have lots of people here the first time to make sure that she won't fall through.
    Unfortunately for regular use, there will be one and only one person with her.
    Smart idea to have some back up the first trial runs. Hopefully it will get eadier. Good luck!