Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoyer Lift Sling Question- need anterior body support

That makes perfect sense. I don't know why I couldn't understand it before. Thank you and I hope your daughter enjoys her trip

Oops, I do have one more question.
    I ended up just ordering the sling on my own, but I'm getting the lift through a local medical supply company. Should I get a physical therapist to come and show me how to use the lift and sling? Or is it sufficient to just read the directions online? What did you all do? The delivery person from the other company who delivered the wrong sling didn't seem too great about explaining how to use the sling itself. I just don't want my Grandma to fall out of the sling.

If there is a PT to help you, definitely.

I agree, I had to have training before Insurance would even think about letting us have one. Well, not have one but you know help us get one, they pay some we pay more...haha

Thanks, Linda and MSWIFE

The last lift we got, the delivery guy was showing us how it works, but he was really rushing through it. I'm assuming the next delivery guy will do some instruction. I'll call the home health services and see what I can work out.

The lift itself is SO big. I definitely don't want my Grandma to come tumbling out of the sling. The thought of a lift is kinda scary.
    Thanks again for all the good advice.

It was very scary the first time I saw Dave being lifted in a ceiling lift in rehab. I never thought I would be able to do it.
    Is there a friend or family member that you can practice with? Make them ride in the sling?

You will be fine. I actually wasn't worried about the lift as it reminded me of an engine hoist. I helped dad lots of times in the garage lift motors out of cars with something real similar. We have all "played" in the lift, even our granddaughter now who is only a year old sits on grandpas lap as we get him in and out of the lift, we have a ceiling lift too and she loves it.

She looks thrilled!

That is her normal nature-haha. She was a good sport though. Even though she weighs much less than Dave it helped to get an idea if we could make the turn.
    Maybe helps give an idea what someone in a sling looks like.

LOL, she does look thrilled.

I actually won't be using the hoyer lift. I can lift my Grandma up and down(she's tiny). The lift is for my Mom and maybe my Aunt who will be staying with her quite a bit since I'm going back to work. It'd be easier if my Grandma didn't have dementia and could understand. I think it's going to freak her out. It's freaking me out

A nurse is coming next week to show us how to use it and she may send a PT since we got a "specialized" sling. I got the sling from a company I found online.

Thanks so much for all of your help.