Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoyer Lift Sling Question- need anterior body support

It sounds like a difficult situation mocusm. I hope you get some answers.
    Last edited by LindaT; 06-14-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: thick fingers/sticky keyboard

Thanks
    One last question (I think it's my last one)
    The site says the sling is not intended to transfer from chair to commode and only works for 25% of the people, any idea why?
    http://www.rehabmart.com/PDFs/Sling_Guide_2.pdf

I don't know. We transfer my husband from bed to the commode/shower chair and into his powerchair.

Ok try to picture this...what if you got a regular two point hoyer sling and then sewed on nylon strap on each side of the sling (where the sling would be at in conjunction with her waist) with a buckle on it, you could buckle it while she was laying down and then when you lifted her she would be buckled in. You could take it a step farther and add another strap that came up between her legs and latched into the buckle as well, kinda like a kids carseat if that helps explain what I am trying to say. If you think this would work, you could even use a belt to try it just put the belt on the bed first under the sling buckle it around grandma and see if it would work.

Thanks, Linda, so much. I appreciate all of your input. I'm trying so hard to make this work. I gotta find a sturdy commode. The one we have has wheels and looks like it could tip over if the wind blew hard.
    MSWIFE
    I'm having a hard time picturing that, but I'm not good at this stuff. Does your idea work if she's not laying in bed too? This is really going to be used more for chair to wheelchair to commode and back.

Since I sent the lift back, it's hard to visualize, but I think that in theory it sounds good as long as it'd work if she weren't laying down.

The sling I was talking about would need to be put under her while laying, but if you plan on using the sling like Linda uses you can put that on her sitting up, still just sew a belt onto the sling for added security. I have an extra sling like Linda has, I will try to add a make shift belt to it and take a picture to show you what I mean. It will be tomorrow evening before I get a chance though.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    It is a HOYER Quickfit Padded

On the tag it has Manufactured for Sunrise Medical and Distributed by Sunrise Medical 800-826-0270

The PTs at Rehab ordered it for us.
    Yes, that looks like ours as far I can tell except for Dave's has the green edge for large. It says that yellow, like the picture is medium.
    This one doesn't have a commode opening. I'm guessing that's why they said it wasn't for use with a commode. So you just take it off on the commode and then put it back on?

Invacare makes a similar one, a "divided leg sling" I think I'll try for this one, it has a commode opening.

I really had to do a ton of leg work on this one including calling Invacare myself. The local medical supply stores weren't all that helpful

Mocusm - I am not able to get any pictures to you as my daughter left tonight on a school trip to Washington and took my camera. Here is an invacare owners manual with the slings listed in detail. Maybe that will help you understand the different slings.

http://www.phc-online.com/v/vspfiles...ing_manual.pdf

I think if you are really concerned about her leaning forward I would just cut a belt in half, sew half of the belt on say the left side of the sling and half of the belt on the right side of the sling, then buckle the belt once you get the sling on her, does that make better sense?