Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your outlook on life? Your purpose?

What is your outlook on life? Your purpose?

I'm going to try writing for up to an hour every morning to see if it helps my focus.

Today being the first day, I started with something simple—writing down my outlook on life and my purpose. To help everyone understand my perspective on life (and things in general), here it is:

My purpose is dependent on my outlook, so let's spend some time focusing on that: Steven, going forward, what is your outlook on life?

First, let's define outlook. Is it as narrow as I think it is? Per Wiktionary, it seems to be:

1. An attitude or point of view.
    2. Expectation for the future.

My attitude is that despite mishaps that may occur, life is good and worth living. There will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. Paraphrasing Hal Jordan--"In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall extinguish my light."

My expectations for the future are all positive. I foresee a future in which paralysis is no longer permanent and aging can be effectively managed, allowing an indefinite lifespan for those who choose it. I foresee a future in which fossil fuels are either displaced or created organically with bacteria. I foresee a future in which energy to power homes is generated near the homes in question. I foresee a future in which neighbors share the responsibility of maintaining a sustainably-powered community garden that grows year round, providing fresh fruit and vegetables to its residents.

That's not to say nothing bad will happen, of course. There will be the occasional turbulent episode where things seem grim. But those episodes will just be bumps in the road along the way, in the grand scheme of things.

So, Steven, what now is your purpose?

My purpose is to use my gifts to help merge the future I see with the world that exists today.

So, Steven, you need to define near-term and long-term objectives that mark your progress along the way. You need to concentrate on activities that mesh with your purpose and minimize those that don't.
    Would you mind sharing yours?
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 06-14-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Hi Steven, I was hoping to see some responses to this thread. Very thought provoking and well written.
    Since my writing is not so great I hesitated to reply.
    Once at a work seminar we were asked to quickly come up with a personal mission statement. Mine was "To be kind, generous and silly." It was not as articulate or lofty as others, and I don't always meet the mission, but that was what came to mind.
    For the future I think in our situation (won't waste space with all of it) we are often flying by the seat of our pants. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    I am a natural pessimist. Always have been no matter how hard I try not to be.
    I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and look for the good in all. Sometimes it works and sometimes I fail.
    I admire your outlook.
    Last edited by LindaT; 06-14-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add

I'm an interplantery observer. So...my outlook is curiosity...what comes next? My purpose is to watch and report.

My outlook on life hasn't changed following my accident. My outlook for anyone (self included), is:

Do what you can, with what you got, to give back to the world more than it put into you. Do what you can to be a positive force on those around you. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Do not think too deep beyond this, because you will not find deeper answers since they are matters beyond your capability to comprehend. Do not take yourself too seriously, because no one else is taking you seriously.

My purpose in life has not changed either. It is merely to live by what I wrote above, and to destroy those who oppose me. Ok, perhaps not the last bit.

I think I will save that Mark. Good words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    My outlook on life hasn't changed following my accident. My outlook for anyone (self included), is:

Do what you can, with what you got, to give back to the world more than it put into you. Do what you can to be a positive force on those around you. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Do not think too deep beyond this, because you will not find deeper answers since they are matters beyond your capability to comprehend. Do not take yourself too seriously, because no one else is taking you seriously.

My purpose in life has not changed either. It is merely to live by what I wrote above, and to destroy those who oppose me. Ok, perhaps not the last bit.
    so true. i hope to each day live to be the best me that i can be. to always strive for better and to give back to those who have helped me by helping others. i live spontaneously, live in the moment and take everything as it comes. i strive to be a student of life, knowing that life lessons come from when i least expect them.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I try to do the best I can do every day, no matter what I'm doing. Give back whenever and where ever I can. Even simple things can mean a lot sometimes. Keeping in touch with friends. Making new friends and helping where and when I can. I do simple things I did'nt have time for when I was working sixty plus hours a week.

I'm not really sure what my outlook on life is these days. Maybe if I ever get this neuropathy under control, I'll be able to look farther ahead than just today. Today can be hard enough to look at.

I disagree with what I've made bold. I'm glad Copernicus, Keplar, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, et al, thought differently, Mark. Nothing imo is beyond the capability of man to understand; your belief limits the imagination in my eyes, and doesn't give sufficient credence to the awesome mental faculties and inherent abilities of mankind to always seek answers to the unknown - and to in the end, find them, and yes, comprehend what is found.

The rest of what you've posted in blue is contained within religious books and tracts handed out daily the world over for centuries past - it's feelgood happytalk claptrap religion 101.

Nonetheless, it's true
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

My outlook is to love humanity first, last and always, and to find the true scientific answer to life, in this one, or in the next, or the next...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Onward and upward. Simple mantra, a myriad of applications.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I disagree with what I've made bold. I'm glad Copernicus, Keplar, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, et al, thought differently, Mark. Nothing imo is beyond the capability of man to understand; your belief limits the imagination in my eyes, and doesn't give sufficient credence to the awesome mental faculties and inherent abilities of mankind to always seek answers to the unknown - and to in the end, find them, and yes, comprehend what is found.

The rest of what you've posted in blue is contained within religious books and tracts handed out daily the world over for centuries past - it's feelgood happytalk claptrap religion 101.

Nonetheless, it's true

My outlook is to love humanity first, last and always, and to find the true scientific answer to life, in this one, or in the next, or the next...
    I think you misunderstood what I am saying. I love scientific advancement and the wider questions of who we are, and why. I simply detach this from my basic fundamental outlook on life. Why connect the two?

I'm going to have the same fundamental outlook on life regardless of what scientific discoveries are made, regardless of whether we suddenly discover what happens after we die. So. If this advanced scientific knowledge is irrellevent to my fundamental "outlook"....then...it's irrellevent.

Saying it another way: Nothing science can or will tell me can change the fact that I'm still going to be nice to other people.