Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones/ PDA's for a quad

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Cell phones/ PDA's for a quad

Before someone (no names) jumps on my butt about reading the other threads pertaining to this subject, please be advised that I've done a thorough search and research. Based on the posts, it appears that the i-phone is the clear winner and device of choice.

For years [long ago] I used a phone on which the earpiece slid up and down and which was very simple for me to use. As is the case with so many things I grew to love for their ease of use, this particular phone went the way of the Dodo as it was replaced by the flip phone which was nearly impossible for me to open, at least in time to catch an incoming call. I stuck with the only non-flip, manageable phone I could find which was a plain-Jane, no-frills, basic Nokia model. My first one eventually died of old age and I was able to find another one on eBay as Nokia had long since ceased distribution of this particular phone. I hated it all those years, and still do, but it was/is the only phone I found usable. Technology has left this phone and me in the dust. I need something that is compatible with the other software I use, that has call-forwarding capability (I have to call AT&T to place my number on call-forward as I can't from my phone) and that will work with Google Voice voicemail (mine won't).

I looked at the phones that work on the AT&T network at the cell phone kiosk at Costco today. Some you still have to slide open and then deal with tiny little keys; No good. Some are still flip phones; Also no good. I could hold the i-phone-like models in my left hand, but it was difficult to press any keys because my fingers on my left hand wrapped around the phone and were in the way.

Any suggestions from c5-6 and higher would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I hope this is helpful, but I am not sure. I have an iPhone and love it. The only repeated difficulty I have with it is that you do not really have to press anything, and dragging your finger over something is enough to be able to use it. That can sometimes result in letters or numbers that I do not really want to type showing up. It is not a problem at all with the phone part of the iPhone, as once you enter people into your contacts list you simply have to touch their name, which has a fair amount of separation from the name above it or below. I bought a hard plastic case for mine initially, and then found it too hard to hold, so replaced it with a silicone case that is much easier to hang onto. Some cases are wider than others, which means less of your fingers would be on the screen itself, or you can simply lie the phone in your lap knowing that the silicone does a good job of acting as an anti-skid device.

Wink

i got my husband the garman phone! it has a nice touch screen with big buttons to touch bigger than the iphone and now he never gets lost!

I don't have a smart phone but the phone I do have will play TV so when I go to a waiting room I can at least watch TV on it. I couldn't hold the phone and try to type on it if I didn't have a little plastic piece shaped like a long U and Velcro'd to the phone. I've had this thing since I left rehab 10 years ago. If I find a picture of it I will post it, otherwise it's just a simple little thing that doesn't way anything and keeps me from dropping the phone or putting my fingers in the way. Maybe you can try something like that.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hey Gold- Go iPhone. I picked one up about a month ago and have been incredibly impressed with it's interface and usability. I'm kind of kicking myself for not purchasing one sooner.

I have the same problem with hand dexterity (c 4/5). I can pick it up–but sometimes my muscle spasms are unpredictable and volatile and so it's easier (safer) for me to have the phone mounted.

Here is the mount that I've been using for the past month. It could be streamlined, but it has worked for me so far.
    http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Wh...2/Default.aspx

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Thanks gang. Sounds like it's time for me to climb aboard the iPhone train and join the 21st century.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs View Post
    Thanks gang. Sounds like it's time for me to climb aboard the iPhone train and join the 21st century.
    When you buy it you will be happy. A mere 48 hours later you will wonder how you ever survived without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    When you buy it you will be happy. A mere 48 hours later you will wonder how you ever survived without it!
    Here is a simple handle for all of them...

http://members.cox.net/darty/gallery1.html
    ^^(A)^^

Agreed, iphone. IMHO, best for quads for all the reasons mentioned plus it's "all-in-one" capacity; safari, ipod, notes, etc.

found a great new app dragon dictation you speak and you can send it as text or email.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland