Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gift I Gave Myself For The Third Anniversary of My SCI

A fantastic gift to yourself Danine. Looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    A couple of months ago, I wrote these words: One thing that I’ve learned from my experience with mobility challenges is that human beings have a psychological (as well as a physical) need to walk! I can’t explain how much I miss that easy, rhythmic, repetitive, automatic action called walking. I don’t consider what I am able to do with my legs now walking—not in the truest sense of the word. Walking should be natural and easy. Walking is neither easy nor natural anymore for me. Instead, taking a few steps has become an exercise in concentration, endurance, and tolerance of pain. Each step must be carefully planned and executed and the brain has to be hyper-alert to tell the hands and arms when to grab onto things to prevent falls when the legs and feet don’t properly interpret the signals that the brain is sending. What should be so simple has become exponentially difficult. I miss the simplicity. I miss the thoughtlessness of walking.
    You have a gift of words. You have voiced my frustration withs such precision. I hope you don't mind that I have passed along (with credit to "Danine") your words to my friends.

Exclamation I've done my pushing at Big Sur, CA

and Big Basin, various beaches, ect. Don't blowout your shoulders. It happens as you get older and with the amount of strain you've used over the years. Something to consider. Shoulder or rotor cuff damage is not fun.

Just be smart and over do it....
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Cool. That's very beautiful.

Brooke, WarrenJ, M395, and swh2007: Thank you! And it's good to see some folks posting that I don't see posting too often! I hope to hear more from you all in the future!

Quadvet, Eileen, LindaT, and doingtime: Thank you! I'm glad you liked the picture!

Steve Garro: I used to do some canoeing prior to SCI. I've been wanting to try some still water kayaking but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for sharing that pic...out and about with your four-legged companions! The black dog reminds me of my Kali-Ma. She went with us on the hike and was lovin' the river!

sorefm:
    Thank you. I have no problem with you sharing my words if it might help others to understand the frustration of living with SCI and the energy it takes to achieve even the little things we achieve.

Freebird: That's an important warning. BTW, I love me some Lynarrd Skynyrd too!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Ya gotta love a gal on a mission! Nice job!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMR1105 View Post
    Ya gotta love a gal on a mission! Nice job!!!!!
    Thank you!

To thine own self be true and to no one else shall you be false ..!Cool you've come a long way !

Quote Originally Posted by tdirt View Post
    To thine own self be true and to no one else shall you be false ..!Cool you've come a long way !
    Thank you!

The feeling of satisfaction must have been wow; nice work!
    Thats a great saying tdirt.