Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gift I Gave Myself For The Third Anniversary of My SCI

The Gift I Gave Myself For The Third Anniversary of My SCI

A couple of months ago, I wrote these words: One thing that I’ve learned from my experience with mobility challenges is that human beings have a psychological (as well as a physical) need to walk! I can’t explain how much I miss that easy, rhythmic, repetitive, automatic action called walking. I don’t consider what I am able to do with my legs now walking—not in the truest sense of the word. Walking should be natural and easy. Walking is neither easy nor natural anymore for me. Instead, taking a few steps has become an exercise in concentration, endurance, and tolerance of pain. Each step must be carefully planned and executed and the brain has to be hyper-alert to tell the hands and arms when to grab onto things to prevent falls when the legs and feet don’t properly interpret the signals that the brain is sending. What should be so simple has become exponentially difficult. I miss the simplicity. I miss the thoughtlessness of walking.

A couple of days ago, I took a hike into the Linville Falls Plunge Basin in Linville, NC, USA. This is a hike that I had wanted to do since years before my SCI. I had never taken that particular trail, however, because I was always intimidated by it's difficulty rating. So, I decided to disregard the difficulty warning and give myself a very special gift for the third anniversary of my SCI, which is coming up on 6/16/10. I hiked, I walked, and I crawled parts of the trail where the terrain was too much for my legs to handle. It took me, with my partner's help, four hours to hike 1.6 miles, but I accomplished my goal and I gave myself a most wonderful gift for the anniversary of a most horrific happening.

To my SCI friends I say: never give up, never give in, no matter how much or how little return you are destined to achieve, life is an on-going gift and the dignity of risk is always your own!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Way to go.....Outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Way to go.....Outstanding
    Thank you!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you. And thanks for the beautiful picture.

Hiking is far and away the #1 thing I miss! I'm so glad you were able to find a way. :-)

Inspirational. Regardless you walked it!!!!
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Bravo, Danine!!!

I can relate, though I am 48 and have not walked without difficulty since I was 11. Last summer I "hiked" to Rainbow Falls in the Eastern Sierra. A little over 2 miles and it too me hours. Very painful but satisfying at the same time.

good for you!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

That's great, Danine. And such a worthy destination, that place is beautiful!

You go girl! Proud of you! Gorgeous picture!!

good on you! you're my kinda person. you gotta want it, and i bet it was killer. you would really like a one-off..........you sound about my ability level {t11/t12/l1 incomplete} have you tried a big fat sea kayak or a canoe? - Garro.