Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a heart rate of 42 considered bad?

Is a heart rate of 42 considered bad?

Hi, I had a holter done previously and my lowest heartrate in 24 hours was 42. Is it too slow and what should I do? Thanks!

Yes, generally this is not considered acceptable. Were you having AD at the time by any chance? While it is common for people with higher SCI during the acute phase to have bradycardia (very slow pulse) this generally corrects itself with time. If not, then a pacemaker may be indicated. You need to speak to your cardiologist about your actual diagnosis and your options for treatment.

(KLD)

Gee, Since I been laying around with that nick on my ass for the past month the local VNA has been coming in. Just yesterday the nurse took my blood pressure and it was 165/90 and my pulse rate was 45. She checked it a couple of times and it didn't change. I was laying down at the time. Not ok? Sitting up my BP is usually 90/60 and I don't recall my usual pulse rate.

That's normal for me at night.

my resting pulse is 48, no problem. 42 is low so that you might need telemetry for a couple days to make sure it doesn't drop even lower when you're sleeping and causing arrhythmia. if these are occurring you might be a candidate for a pacemaker. When I try Xanax or other medications in that class my pulse is dropped as low as 32. Do not take any beta-blockers for anxiety as these can cause a very severe drop in pulse and blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Gee, Since I been laying around with that nick on my ass for the past month the local VNA has been coming in. Just yesterday the nurse took my blood pressure and it was 165/90 and my pulse rate was 45. She checked it a couple of times and it didn't change. I was laying down at the time. Not ok? Sitting up my BP is usually 90/60 and I don't recall my usual pulse rate.
    It sounds like you were having AD at the time. This goes along with a high blood pressure, and a low pulse. You may be one of the rare people who gets AD without other symptoms. You need to check your blood pressure and pulse on a regular basis and see if this persists. Over time a blood pressure that high can put you at risk for heart disease, eye and kidney problems, and risk of stroke.

(KLD)

I get bradycardia when my pain level gets out of control. Mine has dropped into the 20's on more than one occasion. Once my pain is under control, it generally goes back to normal; but I have narrowly escaped having a pacemaker implanted twice!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Does the heart rate has anything to do with the body weight and height?

No.

(KLD)

So what is a good heart rate when resting or active? 50s, 60s?
    I think mine has dropped into the 40 ish range but is that ok as long as it's not normally there?

I'm trying to think if when my bp is very low if my heart rate increases or decreases. It must be normal at the doctors because my physiatrist has never been concerned with HR.

Another question if I may. What should the bottom bp number be in range? Again on the rare instance the bottom number seems pretty low. I take midodrine for my bp.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash