Thread: The Hawks win... Is that really good?

The Hawks win... Is that really good?

I am from Chicago and could not be more annoyed and pissed off that the Hawks won the stupid Stanley Cup. Its not that I hate sports. I think they are great, especially for exercise and enjoyment. However, I am sick of the publicity that they get for doing what? I'm sorry NOBODY is that good at their job that they deserve multiple thousands of dollars and up to multiple millions of dollars a year while the majority of the working individuals make a fraction of that. When are life altering organizations (nurses, teachers, etc) going to be given a parade? My guess is never. Here is my question to all of you die hard sports fans....

So when are all of these wealthy athletes from any sport going to donate even a portion of their salaries to SCI research?? My bet is never. Why should we support them when they don't support us in our quests??

This is a legitimate question!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Professional athletes are entertainers. They are paid large salaries because they have a very rare skill set that makes them valuable to the sports industries that hire them. the Chicago Blackhawks make a lot more money than what they pay for players. The players themselves have short professional careers that require years of unpaid or very low paid work before they get to play (or if they get to play) in the major leagues. Most of them do not end up being extremely wealthy. And, the ones that do hit it big (the elite of the elite) usually are involved in charities.

I'm near the Philly area and could be happier that the Hawks won. I'm sick of the news coverage when any Philly team is having a winning season. The media around here thinks everyone is a sports nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Professional athletes are entertainers. They are paid large salaries because they have a very rare skill set that makes them valuable to the sports industries that hire them. the Chicago Blackhawks make a lot more money than what they pay for players. The players themselves have short professional careers that require years of unpaid or very low paid work before they get to play (or if they get to play) in the major leagues. Most of them do not end up being extremely wealthy. And, the ones that do hit it big (the elite of the elite) usually are involved in charities.
    Hockey players are among the lowest paid of all professional athletes and every team I can think of is involved in massive charity donations not only with money but time. The part that kills me is when a professional athlete in any sport gets to break the law over and over again but is given second and third chances by the league and are allowed to continue playing.

Like it or not they are roll models to kids and being raised playing all kinds of sports teaches you a lot about life.
    ^^(A)^^

Ok... I know athletes fall under the entertainment catagory so I guess my post is not just for athletes but for overly paid entertainers in general. As far as having a specialized skill set... everyone has different talents but we all aren't paid for them just because they are the talents we posses. The short lived career route is a valid one but thats why they should be educated enough to be able to apply for a "normal" job after they finish playing in what ever sport they have chosen. I am also aware that hockey is the lowest paying of the sports. As far as the donations of time and money, I'm not saying they don't give something when it suits them or when they have to look good in the media for one reason or another.

I agree they are role models to kids and those that think they still are kids. I played sports up until high school too so I know the positives that being involved in a sport does bring to a person. My point is that it is ridiculous that we have elevated sports players/entertainers to a higher level then other professions just because we think its fun to watch. I am sure all of the people that helped these players/entertainers when they were younger are not swimming in a pool of money. When do those educators/coaches/teachers get recognized?

Thanks for the comments. They are all very valid....

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Well, the amount they earn is relative to the amount they make for their employers, in this case the Blackhawks organisation. If the Blackhawks are making milllions through attendance revenue and TV money every year, would it be fair for Jonathan Toews to make only $40,000 per year?

Not only that but every NHL player has a unique talent that must don't possess. With respect to their profession, an abundance of people have the potential to learn how to be a nurse, teacher etc so the value of their employ isn't at such a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    Well, the amount they earn is relative to the amount they make for their employers, in this case the Blackhawks organisation. If the Blackhawks are making milllions through attendance revenue and TV money every year, would it be fair for Jonathan Toews to make only $40,000 per year?

Not only that but every NHL player has a unique talent that must don't possess. With respect to their profession, an abundance of people have the potential to learn how to be a nurse, teacher etc so the value of their employ isn't at such a premium.

I think that there should be a cap on salaries around the board!!

So your telling me that just because more people can go out and apply to be teachers/nurses that their jobs are less valuable?

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    I think that there should be a cap on salaries around the board!!

So your telling me that just because more people can go out and apply to be teachers/nurses that their jobs are less valuable?

Becky
    No, how many nurses or teachers are there in the world? Millions. How many elite ice hockey players are there? A few hundred. Toews, as an example, is paid more than a nurse because his skills are so much harder to find and are so much more profitable to his employer.

Ice hockey players get a salary that it is relative to the big-money, profit-making industry in which they are the key component.

No one would argue that a hockey player's job was more important than a nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    No, how many nurses or teachers are there in the world? Millions. How many elite ice hockey players are there? A few hundred. Toews, as an example, is paid more than a nurse because his skills are so much harder to find and are so much more profitable to his employer.

Ice hockey players get a salary that it is relative to the big-money, profit-making industry in which they are the key component.

No one would argue that a hockey player's job was more important than a nurses.

If we are going for ELITE professionals. Most of the teachers/nurses/etc are not in that catagory. Not that they aren't good at their job but elite puts them in a different level and there are not that many people even with those types of jobs that fit that catagory. So your defense still doesn't make any sense to me.

No hockey player, baseball player, basketball player, entertainer is that elite at their job that they deserve that amount of money.

The only reason the sports industry does so well is because people not playing these sports buy into the "OMG, they are so awesome at playing whatever sport/entertainment they are providing" way of thinking. If people stopped paying the grossly inflated prices for two to three hours of watching people stand on a field, or skate around a rink or act in a show then their industry would not be so excessively prosperous.

Im not saying the industry shouldn't make any money but the prices they charge for admission only feed the fuel to the ever growing salaries. Again, nobody.... Not even, whoever that person is that you mentioned, is worth that type of salary!!!!

Becky
    since 1/3/04