Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New too

Quote Originally Posted by Beth123 View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes! I am doing okay depending on the day. I work three days a week (T-Th) and get pretty exhausted by Friday so it takes a few days to recuperate. I think my biggest struggles have to do with the isolation and no one around me really understanding the energy it takes to just complete daily tasks as I don't really look much like I struggle. The balance and energy issues, incontinence threats (bowel and bladder) aren't really known by anyone but me and not exactly topics for dinner time conversation. Right now I'm probably feeling sorry for myself as I see myself as "damaged goods" and have a difficult time not spending hours a day on what my life would be like if this hadn't happened while at the same time feeling guilty because I know I am so lucky in many respects--still alive, didn't die when I could have, still can walk, etc.
    Well don't spend to much time beating yourself up...becomes a viscous cycle...been there done that, felt bad then felt bad for felling bad...lol Hope we can be of some help. Try and have the best day you can every day

Hi, Beth, welcome!

My wife's experience was not dissimilar to yours - she had 2 spinal abscesses - hospital-acquired staph, not MRSA. The doctor treating her for other reasons discounted her reports of back pain until she was losing control of her legs. 3 years and several operations later she was paralyzed at T5.

We've given up on the "woulda, coulda, shoulda," as it gets us nowhere but frustrated, and are concentrating on living life as it is, as good as it can be.

You're absolutely right in that some of the big issues (B&B) aren't recognized by the general world.

Keps - yeah, "atraumatic" is sort of a misnomer, isn't it?

- Richard

Welcome Beth! Glad you found us. This is a good place.