Thread: advice for regulating bowel program after stopping using suppositories, etc.

advice for regulating bowel program after stopping using suppositories, etc.

i need to get my bowel program regulated back to what it was before my docs put me on laxatives. i had few, if any problems before then, & only relied on digital stimulation for my bowel program. but a few yrs ago i was put on senna & daily bisacodyl mini enemas after a slight impaction [rather than reducing constipating drugs or changing diet, grrr]. it took awhile, but i realized these things were causing abd pain, and reduced them. then i tried different things like enemeez then magic bullets [which i found to be linked to my air swallowing problem i've posted about many times]. but it took a long time to convince myself to just stop using these things altogether. so now that i've quit that stuff & gone back to dig-stim only for the past few months, the air swallowing is much better [but still happens... mainly when swallowing excess saliva], and my overall abd pain is better.

yet i just can't get things regulated, it mostly seems like my bowels are still overly sensitive to anything, prbly due to all the laxatives. even just a little too much dig-stim irritates my insides. yogurt, probiotics, citrus fruits, even when i eat high-fiber foods my insides become painfully tightened up. anything that stimulates my system tears me up. counterintuitively, pain killers like vicodin, etc, calm down my insides & seem to do better. and strangely, many foods like mexican, chinese, pizza, even taco bell cause me no trouble. yet certain cheeses or other random things may disagree w/ my stomach. overall things just need to be desensitized.

so i'm looking for advice on restabilizing my system after stopping laxatives. yes, i know the "fiber, water, BRAT, etc"... but i'm wondering if there are any other ideas that would address these sensitivity issues i have.

c5/6, 8yrs post, 34 y/o
    thx!
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

What works for me (most of the time)

Is exercise and plenty of fluids. You know the routine. But everyone is different. I just transfer, do a little shifting and take care of business. I have my moments as well. But not many. Diet, fluids, exercise, and schedule. I started Benefiber and seems to help. I go every night. If I skip a night that can throw things out of synch. S.O.S. BUT WORKS FOR ME

c7-c8 inc. s/p 33 years
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

there are two kinds of fiber, insoluble (bad) and soluble (good). You do not want to eat alot of insoluble fiber stuff if what it sounds like you might have irritable bowel syndrome. I do (able bodied). I was told that acacia fiber works well with this problem and it is natural. I currently take one peppermint capsule a day and that has calmed down my bad episodes for over a year now.

here is a good forum about IBS http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28909

see if it applies to you. you can also purchase either the acacia fiber and/or the peppermint pills on the site. Hope this helps.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

anybody ever get off suppositories/etc after using them a couple years?

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

i'm sorry i misunderstood the question, i am able bodied and a caregiver for my son who is on this forum also. I was just posting suggestions for what sounds like Irritable bowel syndrome. I have no idea about just going "cold turkey" and digital stim only without any suppositories. Is there a reason why you don't want to use the Magic Bullet?
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

We weaned Jim off all laxatives, mini-enemas and bullets about 2 years after his c5, complete injury. He drinks plenty of water, has mini-wheat cereal with a banana most days and just eats a nutricious meal plan with plenty of vegetables and fruit. He is also a Type I diabetic. He eats twice/day with a snack at bedtime. The bowel program is done every other or sometimes every third night, using only dig stim and manual evacuation while lying on his left side in bed, takes about 15-20 minutes. He is flaccid with only a rare spasm. Takes no extra fiber. One thing we found when changing the bowel program was to only change one thing at a time for a week or so to see what actually is helping or not.