Thread: Help me with my homework! Research proposal topic.

Help me with my homework! Research proposal topic.

I am enrolled in an horrid research methods course (unfortunately a required course for my MA program, so I had no choice in the matter). I need to formulate a topic for a research proposal--and am completely drawing a blank. Any ideas?

It's not for a project that will ever necessarily be undertaken. Basically we have to formulate a research question, write a 3500 word formal proposal, peer review a classmate's proposal, then write a reflection paper on what we learned about the process. That's the entire course in a nutshell. But I can't even get started because I am too dull to think of an interesting topic.

Lots of smart people here. What would interest you if you could research anything (within reason and excepting anything connected to sci cures)?

Thanks in advance.

Since these have already been discussed publicly:

1. Will selective fertility improve society?
    2. Can dung beetle enzymes eliminate food shortages?
    3. How will indefinitely postponing death effect society?
    The last one's not mine, so no link.

p.s., a better name for the second, should you choose it: Can feces-eating, glucose-spewing synthetic bacteria eliminate food shortages?
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 06-10-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added p.s.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    How will indefinitely postponing death effect society?
    http://www.amazon.com/Death-Interrup...6203085&sr=8-1

Hi dear OJ.
    I guess I am OK, but I hear you when you say life is always hitting back!! I am about a few weeks (month??) of finishing my PhD, so I guess I should be proud, but.. there are always problems of the body and of the soul that make things difficult. No chance of finding a job in this recession. Simply no chance. Yikkes... How is your Dad??

I hope that taking care of the hernia makes you feel more comfortable. Keep asking the Drs if they can do further tests or they have any thoughts on the numbness. About the research proposal... mmm.. what about:

a) will the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico change the attitude of Americans towards their use of non renewable fuels? If not, why?

b) Is the United States of America in decline? (historically, economically, culturally, etc) why?

If you want more "quantitatively" flavored topics, let me know.

Qualitative or quantitative research? Experimental, quasi-experimental, descriptive?

What is your major field? Something related to it?

What research articles have you read recently for your school work that you might like to replicate, or use with a different population??

What "bugs" you???

How about something about PCA-employer relationships??

(KLD)

Something about autism? Sorry, too dull tonight to formulate a specific question for you. :P
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Argh...I have been avoiding this thread because I am avoiding the research proposal. Which is now officially late. And I still have no topics.

Thanks for the awesome ideas though...you have helped me at least get over the first hurdle of pulling a list together of possible topics. I will be back to this thread later tonight. Although right now I am dumping out to go to a movie. I did get caught up on about 150 of the 400 pages of reading I am behind today. So I at least know what a research proposal is and the difference between qualitative and quantitative. Which is helpful and might be part of the reason I was having a hard time getting going.

Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Qualitative or quantitative research? Experimental, quasi-experimental, descriptive?

What is your major field? Something related to it?

What research articles have you read recently for your school work that you might like to replicate, or use with a different population??

What "bugs" you???

How about something about PCA-employer relationships??

(KLD)
    I could write a whole book on the PCA-employer relationship. Both the good and the bad lol. I was hoping to avoid anything to do with disabilities or spinal cord injuries, I deal with it too much already. But that will be a good topic if I can't come up with something, I think.

I don't have a major/concentration declared yet, which is part of my problem. Right now I am looking at doing something information design/professional writing. I am getting the required courses out of the way while I try to decide what I am actually going to do this degree in. My classmates are all coming up with fascinating topics, which is making me feel extra dull.

Quote Originally Posted by agnes View Post
    Hi dear OJ.
    I guess I am OK, but I hear you when you say life is always hitting back!! I am about a few weeks (month??) of finishing my PhD, so I guess I should be proud, but.. there are always problems of the body and of the soul that make things difficult. No chance of finding a job in this recession. Simply no chance. Yikkes... How is your Dad??

I hope that taking care of the hernia makes you feel more comfortable. Keep asking the Drs if they can do further tests or they have any thoughts on the numbness. About the research proposal... mmm.. what about:

a) will the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico change the attitude of Americans towards their use of non renewable fuels? If not, why?

b) Is the United States of America in decline? (historically, economically, culturally, etc) why?

If you want more "quantitatively" flavored topics, let me know.
    I am so happy that I finally know what "quantitatively" means! When I first read your post a few days ago, I didn't

Congrats on your impending PhD! That makes me happy to hear that. I have two friends who just wrapped up PhDs in May, and they report the same as you, the job market is pretty abysmal One has found some work doing sessional teaching, but not full time. The other has no clue what she will do now. When they started their programs 4-5 years ago, there were jobs galore. I hope you find something.

My dad is doing okay. Still improving slowly. He is walking a bit and is at home now, but doing an extensive outpatient program. But he is still having a lot of problems communicating and so he's still pretty much frustrated and angry all the time. It's very much a case of holding on to the good days and trying very hard to hang on through the rough ones. He is very keen on fishing though, and my mom was able to find a therapist to work with him using fishing as part of this rehab program. That is something brand new but we are hoping it will help encourage him to be more proactive about his rehab if he is doing some things he takes pleasure in.

I am getting the hernia fixed the first week in July. Long wait but it's okay. I met with the surgeon already and she seems very good and understanding of finding a way to meet my physical needs around recovery afterwards. Something that was a problem when I had my gall bladder out earlier this year. I see a new neurologist on less than 2 weeks so hopefully the head numb problem will have some answers then.

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions about topics. I am less panicky about it today than last night. I found out today I have an extra week to get it done and handed in, as not everybody managed to get it done on time. I am glad I am not the only slacker in the class.