Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: nerves

There you go - my appt was for July 15th. Figures. 14 miles round trip for nothing. I did manage to reschedule for June 25th, though. This mix up just proves to me that I need to deal with my problem on my own.

Sounds like you're having a day like mine. This will give you time to rethink the giving up theory. Never ever give up.

I gave up.

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time. I'll second the pool/water idea - I can walk in the water, but not on land, and it's a super feeling to be bearing (some of) my own weight and moving forward on my own steam.

I tried deep water aerobics and didn't really get much out of it, and just switched to masters swimming (started with a beginning adult swim class). It's been great - stretches everything out and makes life much better.

David did real well in the water this year, pool is closed now for the season. We have our own and a pool lift to get him in. I bought some water workout kit and he did very well. Really worth a try Coleen.

I'm trying to work out what's going on with my muscles, brain, messages etc!

I have opposite problem though with extra involuntary movements I didn't intend to make when I was trying to move arm or leg.

Once even went to wrong limb I was trying to move leg and my hand let go of hand rail and I toppled over! It's frustrating, though must be more frustrating not been able to move limb at all however hard you try.

I've discovered a strange thing (and had a new annoyance).

First...the discovery. I can willfully control individual muscles. I've always been able to flex my calves or biceps or make my pecs bounce, but it seems that control extends to almost all my muscles. If I conciously think about flexing my lats, or the muscles on top of my feet, or my shoulders (I don't know all the names), or whatever...the muscles contract. Even the large muscles in my back, buttocks, and legs. Just the specific muscles I'm thinking of. This implies that MS hasn't blocked the nerve pathways...its blocked the cross connections that make one muscle relax while the opposite one flexes. Interesting. Not sure what I can do with it, but it at least gets some exercise.

The annoyance is,,,extreme pain in my right arm and hand. My left hand / arm has been kind of numb for a few years so it hasn't been real useful for typing, but now the right one is downright useless. I'm back to one finger typing...if I try to use all five, then, ow...really, OMG OW...all the way up. OT says tendonitius, and she can make it stop with ultrasound, but only for a few hours. And, I need to type for a living....

I've got cubital tunnel syndrome in my left elbow - sounds a lot like what you're discribing, maybe your ulnar nerve's is/are being pinched by the transfers/using walkers? Just a thought...

Yep, my OT said at the least its tendonitius from using the equipment...specialy since my left arm is so much less cooperative. I keep telling myself h well, it could be worse"...but, you know what? Its getting worse...

I won't go into the 'why' of what I did, but I took (not kidding!) a 10 1/2 mile 'walk (more like drag) that took me 13 + hours. I was too stubborn to admit that it was really stupid & couldn't feel anything but pain for almost a week. I finally got to the point where I could stand for more than a few minutes & had to have an MRI - turns out the thing was in a different building from where I started out, but got a really nice view of a couple 'hot' construction wokers when I crossed the sjy bridge. It didn't make up for the 2 hours in the damn machine - they found the tumor's grown - and my disks are ushing father into/against my cord.
    I'm supposed to have another MRI (of my arm) in a week - think I'll use my chair this time, since I've been unable to stand now for more than (nope - not kidding) a minute since the last MRI walk combined with my 'trek'. If you can walk - even with a rolling walker like I could - DON'T go for a long walk! The pain in my back & legs won't quit at all now, I really f**ked up!