Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: nerves

Great news about David!! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    As for the electrical stimulation I have been studying up on that as Davids rehab Dr. mentioned it and said he would write a prescription and see if insurance would cover it but wanted him to go to therapy first.... The therapist doesn't seem to know anything about it.
    Yeah, I had some problems finding a PT who knew what she was doing. You have to keep looking to find someone who knows where to put the electrodes. The PT I'm seeing now points out that when the muscle twitches, you need to try to voluntarily move the same area. She's set up the combination so that when I'm sitting, I can lift my feet up off the floor.

Thanks Colleen, he goes back to therapy tomorrow. We are going to aim for a little longer each time.

Willing - we don't have much choice in therapists, our insurance is pretty particular about where we go, plus its so hard to take off work or find someone else to drive David back and forth all the time. The rehab Dr. is great, I can read something here or elsewhere on the net and call him, he will call back and discuss it with me in detail. It seems like I have to find something first though because they don't seem to want to give us any ideas. They are not specialized in MS so I don't think they really know either.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like u would benefit from biofeedback. There was a discussion here about it b4.

The page at http://www.empi.com/empi_products/detail.aspx?id=188 shows a PDF listing the motor points for the EMPI 300. I did some experimenting on my own before I found my current PT...the manual is written in "doc-speak", but you can figure it out.

For legs, I used NMES setting 6...with the larger pads...placed the red electrode (red always goes closest to the heart) on the Femoral Nerve point, and the black electode on one of the other points on the thigh. I then adjustested the intensity until I felt pain from the twitches and then backed off a little. I am amazed that I can straighten out my legs and / or lift my feet off the floor with each jolt.

Of course, YMMV, but both the PTs I've dealt with and my MS doc have assured me it can't do any harm as long as you back off from the pain.

When I see my VA doc again, I'll ask about the e-stim.

Thanks for the link Willingtocope - I am definetely studying up on this. This sounds great. David can lift his right leg on command, the left one takes a bit of trying to get done sitting down, but it has to help rebuild some muscle in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Mr Coffee here did extensive work on himself with e stim, you should talk with him and/or search his posts on it.

Thanks Capn, I will do that.

I see the rehab MD again in a few hours to discuss the EMG & options. It (emotionally) feels like the EMG MD doesn't believe there's anything wrong, but I've had sciatica for 14 months & a lower back ache for the same amount of time.
    I'm tired of the tests & noise, today I'm gonna tell the rehabMD that I'm giving up & am just going to keep trying to tolerate the marathon sciatica, since no one's doing anything to help me with it anyway. It's got me too down to 'work' on it or play their useless games anymore.
    Sorry for the long post.