Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to change from 24 inch tires to 25 with ti-Lite ZR --any way ?

Wanting to change from 24 inch tires to 25 with ti-Lite ZR --any way ?

Hi,

I put a call into my DME but haven't gotten a call back yet, so here my question:

I'd like to move up to 25 inch Spinergy LX wheels but my ZR was built with 24 Spinergy Spox Wheels and Due to the 1 inch height diffrence and the no adjustablity of this chair is there any way this is possiable to do this ...

I was thinking maybe changing the caster size, etc... ? Fiqured maybe someone on here could answer my question

Quote Originally Posted by ldykawakii View Post
    Hi,

I put a call into my DME but haven't gotten a call back yet, so here my question:

I'd like to move up to 25 inch Spinergy LX wheels but my ZR was built with 24 Spinergy Spox Wheels and Due to the 1 inch height diffrence and the no adjustablity of this chair is there any way this is possiable to do this ...

I was thinking maybe changing the caster size, etc... ? Fiqured maybe someone on here could answer my question
    There is not going to be a 1 inch of difference, only .5" because 1 inch is the difference between the diameter of the two wheels and you have to think only in the radius.
    If the chair still in Tilite factory i don`t see reason for they can`t do it, if the frame is finish they will have to cut the tube which is going down to the camber tube, sand, clean and weld another .5" shorter.
    All this with an extra charge of course.

Thanks, I own the chair already. Have had it for about 2 years now and love it but I tried a ZR out with 25 inch wheels the other day and liked the height difference. Not a big deal--just can order a pair of 24 inch Spinergy LX wheels

Frog Legs Uni-tine Wheelchair Forks --opinions ?

Another question You can tell I am not mechanically inclined I'm sure.

My ZR was built about 2 yrs ago was standard forks, and was thinking of changing over to Frog Legs Uni-Tine Forks. Does anyone have these and have an opinion on them ? I really like the way they look but have always had forks that attach at both side of caster and am worried about stability of them.

Are there any holes lower in the front forks than you have now. If so, you can just change holes to the lower ones and that will raise your front end to accommodate the 25's.

Hi,

depending on your DME you most likely will get better advice here anyway.

Without knowing your chair specs, there's alot of variables. Here's my thoughts..

if you look at a 24" tire it says "540-xx" where xx is the width. The 540 indicates the rim diameter that its built for in millimeters. When converted to imperial measurements this is approximately 21.25 inches. Measure your rim if you don't believe me - a 24" wheel is not actually 24".
    A 25" tire says "559-xx" - only 19 mm larger. This is 0.75 inch on the diameter of the wheel = 3/8" on the radius.

Now, if you measure the distance between the wheel mounting holes on the front caster forks of your ZR you will find they are 3/8" apart.

Assuming you are using a 3" or 4" front caster wheel that is not installed on the bottom hole of the fork, you could relocate your front caster wheels down one hole and upgrade your rear wheels to 25" without altering the dump of your chair - your chair will feel the same, only you will be sitting 3/8" taller. If you use anti-tippers don't forget to adjust them.

Once this is done, you will probably want to check your rear wheel camber, if your chair has any. If you raised front and rear wheels equally it shouldn't have changed, but it would be good to make sure. And obviously you will have to adjust your scissor lock brakes just to install the plus-sized wheels.

I realize this is a bit confusing to understand - there are a few factors that affect the geometry of your chair. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to find a fellow local wheeler that runs 25" wheels and ask to try them on your chair. 3/8" less dump will be noticeable but not dangerous unless you are running less than 1.5" now.

As far as "cutting and welding" your frame - that's nonsense. I doubt TiLite would even do it. Once a frame is built on the fabrication jig, its done - if not re-welded correctly the chair would never roll straight ever again.

Good luck!

No, I have 3 inch roller blade caster on the last hole of the three holed front forks.

was thinking of changing over to Frog Legs Uni-Tine Forks. Does anyone have these and have an opinion on them ? I really like the way they look but have always had forks that attach at both side of caster and am worried about stability of them.
    I don't run them myself, but alot of ppl do without incident. It's a matter of preference. By all accounts they are tough as nails.

No, I have 3 inch roller blade caster on the last hole of the three holed front forks.
    Do yourself a favor and stick with 24's then.

My Chair is a Ti-Lite ZR,16X 16 with .5 inch dump,24 inch spinergy Spox wheels it has 3 inch rollerblade casters that sit in the last hole of the three holed standard ti-lite fork. I do have a good DME thankfully. Might be time for a visit since I am also thinking about adding Frog legs to the chair something I was never interested in before. I am just very short in the chair and thought the 25 inch or 26 in Spinergys would give me a little more heights for counters, etc...

Might be time to order a new chair anyways with the ZR 2 coming out

Thanks everyone