Thread: Permobil C-500

Permobil C-500

I recently got my 1st wheelchair, a Permobil C-500.

Does anybody else have one of these? It is what the VA gave me upon hospital discharge.

Can you give me your likes and dislikes or problems. Has anyone made modifications?

Thanks,
    Fred

Here's a recent thread, Fred. (poet, didn't know it )

Who's had experience with Permobile C500?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Here's a recent thread, Fred. (poet, didn't know it )

Who's had experience with Permobile C500?
    You're the best, RDF.

Fred, I just got a new-to-me 8 month old C500.. I really haven't had time to take it out in the woods for REAL test but it seems to be fairly strong. My problem is driving the damn front wheel drive after 20+ years of a rear wheel.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Fred, I just got a new-to-me 8 month old C500.. I really haven't had time to take it out in the woods for REAL test but it seems to be fairly strong. My problem is driving the damn front wheel drive after 20+ years of a rear wheel.
    Thanks DeadEye. Yes indeed, I bet it would be hard to transition from rear wheel to front wheel after so many years.

Hey Fred,

I have had the C500 for a few years now, the VA got it for me as well. I haven't had any experience with other power chairs so I really can't compare it, but I can tell you what I've learned about the C500.

It is a well built chair, very solid. I have had it in the snow, rain, mud, water, etc. and it keeps goin. I take it down by the river in some really rocky terrain, makes for a pretty bumpy ride (hehe) but it hasn't fallen apart. I've definitely done things in this chair it wasn't designed for, I recently took it in about a foot of water, bad idea. Somehow it screwed with my controls and after a couple days of drying out all it would do was slow speed (in all 5 speeds it was slow), they hooked up a computer thing that can change the speed settings etc. and it was good to go. I was surprised, I thought for sure I had finally broke her for good... nope, just a quick fix. So stay out of deep water. It's not an all terrain chair (but it's tough) I've got it stuck many times, mainly in wet conditions, it just doesn't have the meaty/knobby tires for it. The only other thing I've had to have fixed were the rear casters, I came over a small (3-4 inches) curb at an angle and one of the rear casters got caught sideways and ripped the tire completely off the rim, so now I always go at curbs/thresholds straight on if possible. Batteries hold their charge very well, I haven't kept track of how many miles I've gone, but it goes far, I live on a BIG (lot of rolling hills here) hill and I'm able to go down, drive around a few hours, make it back up and still have some battery left. I haven't done or made any mods, it's still exactly the way I got it. All in all it's a good chair, let me know if you have any questions, I'll help you out any way I can.

Take care,

Joshua

Joshua,

That was a great review. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

I like my ride so far. No major issues. I wish it tilted backwards more though.