Thread: $250 Rebates Coming to Those in the Medicare Rx Donut Hole

$250 Rebates Coming to Those in the Medicare Rx Donut Hole

Got the blues about hitting the Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage donut hole this year?

Well cheer up -- there's a consolation prize heading your way on the form of a $250 rebate check.

This article in the Minot (ND) Daily News reports that the checks will be mailed out on June 10 to those who've already hit the donut hole in 2010. There will be additional rebates issued quarterly for those who enter the donut hole later in the year.

Speaking personally, the timing couldn't be better. I came out of the donut hole the day that article was published -- it's the earliest I've reached the catastrophic coverage level since the RX plan started.

Thanks to Dr. Whitecoat for bringing this to my attention.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I don't even come close but it would be nice to get $250! More money for to spend on booze.

I saw this too. I'm a month a way from reaching it so I'm glad. $250 will be nice but no where near covering my loss. It is insane that we have an allowance to begin with & it outrages me that they count your co-pay towards it too! I use Humana's pharmacy(medicare) & get all generics already. Did you read though that next yr(I think), you will get 50% of of name-brands? Ha, who can afford name brands with such a cozy prescription plan anymore!

I hear ya, quad79, about the $250 being a pittance. My out-of-pocket drug costs in the last 11 weeks was close to $2700, and I'm at almost $4600 total OOP for the first five months of 2010. This rebate won't buy 10 days worth of the Oxycontin I take for pain.

That 50 percent name brand "discount" is a joke. It doesn't help us at all -- we'll still have to cough up $4500+ to reach catastrophic coverage levels. It will help the insurers, though, because it means it will take folks like me longer to get out of the hole, thereby reducing the number of months the insurance plan pays for my drugs (especially at the catastrophic coverage level). I pay the same, they pay less. Big fucking deal.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar