Thread: folding wheelchair

folding wheelchair

Hi all looking for some advise on a new chair. I have been using a Ti lite folding chair since 1998. I have had tons of issues with it I have replaced about every part on it. So please anyone who has a folding chair from TI or any other place let me know if you like it or hate it. Keep in mind I load and unload my chair into my vehicle at least 10 or more times per day. I need it to be able to take off the tires and fold up easy....thanks in advance for your info

I have used a Quickie 2 folder when using my Chevy extended cab pickup. It folds and fits neatly behind the drivers seat. I don't need to remove the wheels though. I have been using the Quickie 2's for almost 20 years with no major problems, just replacing tires, upholstery and adjusting the brakes. They have taken a pretty good beating. I use my Q7 in my full size van with a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    Hi all looking for some advise on a new chair. I have been using a Ti lite folding chair since 1998. I have had tons of issues with it I have replaced about every part on it. So please anyone who has a folding chair from TI or any other place let me know if you like it or hate it. Keep in mind I load and unload my chair into my vehicle at least 10 or more times per day. I need it to be able to take off the tires and fold up easy....thanks in advance for your info
    Hi redroc, you are from Aberdeen( Scotland)?

Why you don`t go for an ultralight rigid? it will be easier to pick it up to the car.

Aberdeen SD....I am 6'3 and weigh 215 and drive to small of cars to get a ridid frame

I have a 3 year old TX folder from Ti. I had a TiLite X from back when it was TiSport. Had it for 6-8 yrs.

That said, the newer TX is a much improved chair over the X. The TX has not wore one bit since new as far as the folding/frame part goes. Chair is as solid as day one. I did have an issue with both axle plates cracking when it was a year old or so. But have not had a problem since replacing them. I think it may have been a bad batch of aluminum, but that is a guess.

The X was easier to fold and put behind seat in car than the TX, due to the TX having front caster mounts like a ZR. Front end did not get as narrow. It wasn't bad, just not as slick.

But ever since I bought a Honda Odyssey it is a non-issue. I have not had to fold my chair in 2 years and I love it. 1 min. or so in to Ody. and 30 or less to get out. Never going back to a car again (at least not until a mid-life crisis and I go blow some money on a Vette or Camaro).

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post

But ever since I bought a Honda Odyssey it is a non-issue. I have not had to fold my chair in 2 years and I love it. 1 min. or so in to Ody. and 30 or less to get out. Never going back to a car again (at least not until a mid-life crisis and I go blow some money on a Vette or Camaro).
    Skogy - can you describe to me how you get your chair in the Honda Odyssey? Yourself, too, if you think it's non-obvious. Aren't they kind of high off the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    Skogy - can you describe to me how you get your chair in the Honda Odyssey? Yourself, too, if you think it's non-obvious. Aren't they kind of high off the ground?
    I took the seat behind me and the center seat next to it out after I purchased the Odyssey.

1. Open doors.

2. Pull chair up to door.

3. Put right foot up onto floor.

4. Put transfer board under leg and on Odyssey seat. (Don't need the board, just a lot more easier & safer with it).

5. Slide up in, pull left leg in.

6. Move chair to rear door directly behind drivers door and pull it up and in.

7. Close door and go.

I have been meaning to make a video and post, maybe in the future. It is so slick getting in and out. Armrest get a lot of wear and tear but well worth it.

I have a TiLite 2GX. Got it last August. I'm very pleased with it so far - it's lighter, more rigid, and folds narrower than my old Quickie 2. The only problems I've had with it are the bolts coming out of the arm rest (I need to get some Locktite) and some moderate caster flutter. I've adjusted the caster angle at least five times and just can't get rid of the flutter.

I had a ti lite x for about a year and hated it, everything was always coming loose, I didnt like the frame configuration, I'd hit something small with the front casters and get thrown out of the chair, it would do a nose dive and I had the casters up all the way. Poor design, at least for me. I've had great luck with my Quickie GTX, but they don't make em anymore unfortunately. I've had it a couple years. I hope I can get at least 3 more years out of this chair or more cause I don't know what I'd replace it with.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred