Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C Diff ?

C Diff ?

I went home over the weekend to see my parents. I visited my Grandma yesterday. Today they tell me she has CDiff. I just started antibiotics for a UTI today. Is there anything I can do as a preventative or should I just hope I don't wind up with it? I was with her a few hours. I helped her eat, etc. so now I am freaking out.
    Anyone know how long it takes for symptoms to show?
    Last edited by addiesue; 06-07-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You are unlikely to pick this up from your grandmother unless there is stool contaminating her environment and you do not wash your hands before eating or touching your mouth, or used the same toilet without it being cleaned first. If she is at home with c. diff, then everyone should be meticulously washing their hands, and the toilet or any other surfaces contaminated (or possibly contaminated with stool) should be cleaned with bleach wipes after each use. Alcohol hand cleaner is not sufficient for c. diff. You cannot get it from her saliva, but gloves should be worn by anyone providing her care where stool may be contacted.

(KLD)

She is in a nursing home. She was in ICU, then the hospital up until a few weeks ago.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

In a nursing home, she should be on contact isolation, with gloves and gowns required for all who have physical contact with her, her bed, or her linens. There should be signs posted requiring this, and instructing people to clean their hands with soap and water (not alcohol hand cleaner). If they don't have this in place, speak to the head nurse.

(KLD)

What is C Diff?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

c. diff = clostridium difficile

This is an opportunistic infection of the bowels which is most common in people who have been on prolonged or multiple oral or IV antibiotics, and/or hospitalized recently (as it is easily transmitted on either stool contaminated equipment or hands).

At the very least, it can cause peristant diarrhea, at its worse, serious or even fatal sepsis or bowel necrosis (death).

Here is some good information about c. diff from the CDC:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/id_CdiffFAQ_general.html

(KLD)

I feel like I have been on antibiotics most of this year.....
    Thanks a lot for the info. I have my Mom checking on things to make sure she is isolated. I am 4 hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    c. diff = clostridium difficile

This is an opportunistic infection of the bowels which is most common in people who have been on prolonged or multiple oral or IV antibiotics, and/or hospitalized recently (as it is easily transmitted on either stool contaminated equipment or hands).

At the very least, it can cause peristant diarrhea, at its worse, serious or even fatal sepsis or bowel necrosis (death).

Here is some good information about c. diff from the CDC:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/id_CdiffFAQ_general.html

(KLD)
    Thanks for answering. That stuff sounds wicked. I'm glad I've never had reason to know what it is!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Blog Entries
    If you want, various yogurts and certain milks provide a small variety of intestinal critters and have made a very noticeable difference in my body(bp) in just a few days use. I'd use them in a heartbeat for preventive measures if I were concerned about it. One thing, it can't hurt. I generally have some around, activia makes some great flavors and it's always on sale at wally whirled. Matter 0 fact, I gotta go grocery shopping today and will get some. I've been using it to help prevent constipation from the oxycodone I take for my shoulder. That and an increase in h2o wins that battle b4 it ever starts.

Probiotics...make your tush happy

As far as those UTI/abx wars go, I won the war. I use Vetericyn 10cc flushes every few days and I am no longer colonized, nor infected. I have been on a candy kick for a month to celebrate, lol. There was a thread recently about it. I believe you could use this and never worry again. If you want info, holler.

John

I have to go in for surgery tomorrow and for once I am more terrified of the bugs I can catch at the hospital than I am of the anaesthetic.

Oh, MRSA MRSA me, things aint what they used to be.
    And C-diff too? Gawd!

I hope you don't get C-diff Addiesue. Or me either.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess