Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Newly injured, new to forum -- Introduction

Newly injured, new to forum -- Introduction

Hello all,

I'm so glad to find a site like this. There is a lot of information and the nurse moderator (KLD) seems very helpful. Let me introduce myself...

My name is Fred and I was injured in the summer of 2009 from a diving accident. I am a C-5 complete. I spent six months total in the hospital and I'm so glad to be home now.

I just turned 40 years old. I am a military veteran, U.S. Navy, '88-'93 as an air traffic controller.

I am from Madison Wisconsin. It is a wonderful place to live. I went to college after the Navy and I graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in civil engineering in 2001.

This Friday (June 11, 2010), I'm getting married. We have been dating for 3 1/2 years. I proposed to her a few months after my accident, and she still said yes! She is a wonderful woman and helps me out greatly with the trials and tribulations from the devastating injury.

I have an aide who comes to my house seven days a week every morning for three hours a day to help with bladder and bowel care, grooming, transferring to wheelchair, etc.

My wheelchair is a Permabile C-500. The wheelchair stands up, but I have such low blood pressure problems that I rarely can use the stand-up function. I had problems finding the right wheelchair due to my height. At the time of the accident, I was 6'4" and 200 pounds. Because of my taller frame, I needed a taller wheelchair. This has created other problems because now my wheelchair seat level is really high and my torso is still tall. I don't fit into most handicapped vehicles and I don't fit under most tables.

I have chronic and terrible back pain. My doctors have sought why I have the back pain but have not found a reason or source of the pain. I've also tried a myriad of pain killers, but none have worked. I'll soon be starting methadone and phasing out of morphine in search of better pain relief.

After the injury, I retired from my job as a construction project manager. I intend to work again but I'm looking for the right situation for me and my soon-to-be wife.

Hopefully I'll find a few SCI friends on Care Cure. Other than those I met at the hospital I don't know any other SCI folks. I'll soon be joining a local SCI club. If you are the friendly type, please drop me a note to say hello.

Thanks for now,
    Fred

Hi Fred, and welcome to the spinal tap club, the unwanted club that is. This is the place to be if your look'n for answers to the everyday baggage that goes with the world of SCI.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

A thousand welcomes Fred, I'm sure you'll find the forum a great source of invaluable information.

Oh by the way, congrats on your engagment. Best of luck to the both of you.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Hi Fred. So sorry to hear about your accident. My brother had a diving accident almost 5 weeks ago and broke C5-C6, he is still in hospital in ICU, fighting lots of issues like stomach, pneumonia etc. I will tell him about you. His girlfriend arrived to the city where he is at the moment but he doesnt want to see her, i think he is being shy of his situation. It hurts her a lot but even doctors said no to her for a time being until he is stabilised otherwise they are afraid of panic attack etc. I wish you all the best and strength in your work for further recovery.

Welcome Fred and Congratulations!

Welcome Fred, and congratulations on the forthcoming marriage. Wishing you both the same happiness my wife and I have had during the past 44 years.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Glad you're here Fred, congrats on getting your girl Lots of good people and good info here. Welcome.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

keep fighting the BP, it will get better over time and as u increase ur activity. u have to fight it all the way buddy!

Hi Fred, That was a great introduction. Congratulations on your marriage.
    My husband fell from a tree in Oct of 08 and is C3. He is only 5'8" and it seems like there is not a lot of head room in our van even for a short person in a chair, so I can see why it would be hard for you.
    He has a lot of low blood pressure issues too. He was a pipefitter and also a veteran.
    I have heard Madison is a nice city. I hope there is a good medical center there.