Thread: medical transcription.....anybody been there, done that?

Smile medical transcription.....anybody been there, done that?

I'm looking into getting trained to become a medical transcriptionist.....we're probably going to be adding a kiddo to the crew within the next year or so....and I want to find a job that will allow some major flexibility. I'm not crazy about working from home....but it just might be the ideal job for my life.

does anybody do this/know somebody who does it?
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Amanda, I would have encouraged you in this a few years ago, but the trend in medical records now days isfor hospitals and clinics and even doctors offices to move into a totally electronic medical record. With these, the physicians, nurses, etc. type their own records and notes into the electronic record using computers or sometimes even voice recognition software, so there is much less call for medical transcriptionists...in fact we rarely if ever use them at all anymore where I work. I would be concerned that this is a dying occupation and may not have a lot of future.

Now medical informatics....that is a growing field that you may want to look into, with a lot of growth potential and many new jobs opening as the changes above are implemented.

(KLD)

I have to agree with SCI nurse, I have a friend who is a medical transcriptionist and works from home, she is loosing clients quickly. I used to home transcriptions for our local county police. They record stuff while they interview witnesses and the criminals and need it transcribed. You may want to check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Amanda, I would have encouraged you in this a few years ago, but the trend in medical records now days isfor hospitals and clinics and even doctors offices to move into a totally electronic medical record. With these, the physicians, nurses, etc. type their own records and notes into the electronic record using computers or sometimes even voice recognition software, so there is much less call for medical transcriptionists...in fact we rarely if ever use them at all anymore where I work. I would be concerned that this is a dying occupation and may not have a lot of future.

Now medical informatics....that is a growing field that you may want to look into, with a lot of growth potential and many new jobs opening as the changes above are implemented.

(KLD)
    This was just in the paper here recently. Everyone is doing the electronic way now
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Hi Amanda

I am working in the Health Information Management field right now. I have done transcription years ago.

I will tell you that no matter what certifications you get, you will have a hard time finding a job without experience. Most healthcare organizations will not train transcriptionists. Most organizations also outsource most of their work also.

KLD is correct in saying that the field is moving towards electronic records. It is a dying occupation but there will always be other needs in the Health Information Management field.

If you are wanting a work at home career. I would look into coding. Again it is hard to get in the field without experience but one can find ways to get their foot in the door at most organizations and work their way up to coding careers. Since the records are going electronic and uncle Sam is tightening up his belt, there will always be a need for auditors and the like. These positions will also eventually be work at home positions.

There are endless possibilities and Health Informatics is one of those careers that you can keep building on. I am starting school in the fall to get my bachelors degree in something related to Informatics. I have not fully decided yet. At the present time, I am a supervisor for the clerical side of a medical records department. I have 17 direct reports and I am quickly burning out on the people management side of my position. I do love coding, Case management, auditing, privacy and documentation improvement. The beauty of my 2 year Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Management is that I can do just about any of the above things that interest me at the moment.

Another big area that the government will be focused on now more than in the past is Privacy and Security of data/patient information.

If you have any questions at all, dont hesitate to PM me here or on Facebook. I can't mention all the opportunities that are out there with a degree in HIM.

As long as the government is creating laws, there will be HIM jobs.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

For more information you can go to www.ahima.org

American Health Information Management Association
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My daughter did transcriptions and some of the jobs were sent overseas.

arrrgh! obsolete eh?

I have a bachelor's in general studies( not a whole lotta good). but jobs are crap right now...and I need to work towards something that is super flexible.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Have you considered tutoring for jr. high or high school students? Some people offer this on-line, while others have the students come to their home.

(KLD)