Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me overcome the odds.

Help me overcome the odds.

Paraplegic (SCI) for 8 years and living 10 years with Cancer (Multiple Myeloma).

Please watch my audition video and VOTE. Go to http://bit.ly/ckoqES

I'm competing to host my own show, "Living Free with Dr T" on OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network. The odds of being selected by Oprah only seem daunting. Someone is leading by 1,200,000 votes. Members of karate organizations in California and across the country are behind him.

I say seems only daunting because with the support of the paralyzed and cancer communities the odds will be overcome.

Voting ends July 3rd so please VOTE NOW and EVERYDAY, as often and as many times as you CARE to. After VOTING, there are Facebook, Twitter, and E-mail icons where you can share my
    video.

Individuals living with paralysis and cancer will be supported through my advocacy on "Living Free with Dr T". For the first time on TV, worldwide viewers will watch a show hosted by me, sitting in a wheelchair!

With gratitude,
    John Testa

Dr T's show

About time for a show like that, hosted by one of us! Good Luck...I'll keep voting for you...

Thanks highland rose in helping free us from our wheelchairs. VOTE on, VOTE on. You're the first in the Care Cure Community to help Ring the Bell of Freedom with your vote. We in the paralyzed community will overcome the odds.

Voted for ya.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Suzie Q Thanks for your vote and for spreading the word to your family and friends.
    With gratitude
    John

I voted!

John, you are amazing! My daughter has a sci and my oldest brother has multiple myeloma. I can not even imagine putting the two things together for one person. My daughter is still learning to adjust to her injury and my brother is an amazing man. His strength for life is such an inspiration. How do you do it?

Sarah's Mom Thanks for your vote. How old is your daughter? How long has she been living with SCI? How are you doing? Learning to adjust takes time. With family and friends support she'll flourish. When was your brother diagnosed with MM? Your brother's courage to overcome the odds and his strength for life is inspirational indeed! You ask, "How do I do it?" I flourish with the help of my family and friends. Also, being a Clinical Psychologist, I'm an expert in "accepting what is". Living life with paralysis and MM is what is, I can't change being paralyzed or the cancer, so I grant myself the courage to live fully now.
    Thanks again for Voting and giving me the courage to flourish. Thanks for your family's and friends support as well. With gratitude, John

Sarah is now 20. Her accident was on her 19th birthday (12-20-08). She is doing well today - sometimes better than me. She works part time in the evenings from home and plans to go to school in the near future. We take one day at a time in our house and continue to learn as we go along. But I must say, that I am very proud of my daughter. She is a brave young woman.

My brother was diagnosed in the summer of 2008 - he actually told our family when we were on a cruise celebrating Sarah's high school graduation. His illness started with broken ribs that came out of the blue. He would not heal and it just all went from there. He had a bone marrow transplant in Feb 2009 and was doing well, or so we thought. A few months ago he was told that he was now 20% infected and needed to begin another treatment regiment program. He is the oldest of my siblings (56) and is 10 years older than I am (and I am the youngest). He amazes me every day with his wisdom, love for life, and he commitment to survive his cancer.

We live in Ohio and he and his family live in North Carolina. When Sarah got injured, one of the first things that he said to me was....."Sis, don't worry about me. Compared to what Sarah is going through, I just have a cold." He is the most unselfish man that I know. We talk a couple of times a week. If we could spend every weekend with them, we would in a heartbeat. They have a great love for life.

Needless to say, 2008 sucked for my family! But we have survived so far. Thank goodness.

Shara's Mom
    You at 46 and Shara, now 20, are brave courageous women. I was 53 when I became paralyzed. Becoming paralyzed at any age is tough to accept and at age 19 is especially difficult. For you her mom tougher than anything a mother can imagine outside of cancer or death. Acceptance of what is, in the face of adversity, requires bravery. Being "very proud" of Shara is important for her to know and I'm sure that she is very proud that your her mom. Taking it one day at a time is what I do as well, for today I'm living and still learning.

I was 51 when I had my stem cell transplant and now I'm 61. I went to a cancer support group and met a man who is surviving MM for 17 years. Kathy Giusti, co-founder of the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation is surviving 12 years. Your brother at 56 with his
    "wisdom, love for life, and committment to survive his cancer" will enhance the quality of living and increase his longevity.
    Best wishes for health, happiness, and prosperity to you and your family, and to your brother's family this year and throughout the years to come.
    Thanks again for you vote of support.
    With gratitude,
    John