Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you see yourself in your dreams?

How do you see yourself in your dreams?

I'm curious to see how other SCIs see themselves when dreaming. Are you in a chair or walking? Or both?

Since my injury 6 years ago (at age 29), I've had dreams where I'm in a wheelchair, but wonder why and just get up and walk away. I've had dreams where I can walk but still can't use my hands or where I'm able-bodied, but still need to drain a leg bag. Often I'll get out of my chair to get myself and it up a flight of steps, only to get back into it.

And, even sometimes, when awake, I'll remember something from the past, but initially remember myself there in a wheelchair, when I wasn't.

How old were you when injured, how long have you been injured, and what are your dreams like?

it depends. sometimes i'm not even a girl! my fav is me running in a huge field with my chair next to me like it is a dog
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I stood up in a dream this morning, like I had received a treatment and was learning to walk again. I had to watch my feet to make sure they were positioned properly. Then I woke up and was feeling ripped off. I got over it though.

Lately I fly in my dreams. I stand, lean forward slightly with my body and go wherever I want. The flying is a recurring theme even though the "content" of the dreams changes each time.

I've no idea how this flying started or what triggers it many nights, but I love these dreams.

Awakening, realizing I was asleep is incredibly disappointing.

It's time to hang glide again in real, daylight hours.

Im matt, 21, 3years post, c6/7...sometimes im in a chair but other times im walking, running, riding (bike, motorcycle,skateboard, skates, snowboard, atv), sometimes both chair and walking, sometimes i question saying how? why am i up? i feel puzzled because i know its not possible somehow at the time being. sometimes i have dreams so real my legs and feet HURT and burn even hours after ive been awake and about. i am not on drugs either lol. sometimes i am not 100% stable when i move or walk or whatever. like as if i had patchy function return..... call me crazy, i say its the sci haha

Injured 11/24/91 at the age of 32 for the most part in my dreams I am not in a chair but once in a while I will still have some of the bowel or bladder problems and in the last couple of years occasionally I will be in a chair or on my hand cycle. So for the most part in my dreams I am not injured.

I have not flown in my dreams in years now but man it was always great to fly in my dreams...It seemed so real

Quote Originally Posted by MValente81807 View Post
    Im matt, 21, 3years post, c6/7...sometimes im in a chair but other times im walking, running, riding (bike, motorcycle,skateboard, skates, snowboard, atv), sometimes both chair and walking, sometimes i question saying how? why am i up? i feel puzzled because i know its not possible somehow at the time being. sometimes i have dreams so real my legs and feet HURT and burn even hours after ive been awake and about. i am not on drugs either lol. sometimes i am not 100% stable when i move or walk or whatever. like as if i had patchy function return..... call me crazy, i say its the sci haha
    Well said

I was injured twelve years ago and it is only very recently that I had one dream in which I was in a chair. Even now, as a general rule, I am walking and able bodied. For the first five or six years after I was injured it was quite disturbing when I was out and about and I saw a refletion of myself in a shop window and saw that I was in a wheelchair. I thought I was used to being in a chair but in my head my images of myself were all as an able bodied person and it was a real surprise to see myself in a wheelchair. That surprise has gone now so I guess my brain has caught up with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I have not flown in my dreams in years now but man it was always great to fly in my dreams...It seemed so real
    It feels as though I am flying in my dreams. It seems that real.

If I can just discover the way to direct my brain to those flying dreams each night before sleep.