Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: good interview questions for a live in caregiver

  1. #1

    good interview questions for a live in caregiver

    What questions outside of the obvious should I ask a possible live in caregiver. Its tough trying to determine a person you will be living with and depending on by a formal interview.

  2. #2
    Just a few (we use these for live-in or out equally):

    Why do you want to do this kind of work?
    Tell me about your work habits.
    Tell me about a time when you needed to do something at work that was unpleasant.
    Are you a morning or evening person?
    What kind of music do you like? TV programs?
    Do you smoke? Drink? Use recreational drugs?
    What would your friends tell me about you?
    Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it.
    Will I find anything unexpected if I get a background check done on you?

    (KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member NWC4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    317
    Where are you currently living?
    If you are not hired, where will you be living?
    The biggest problem I had w/live-in attendants was they were more interested in a place to flop for a while rather than actually working. When they found another place to flop they would leave. Often w/o saying a word.

  4. #4

    What to ask for

    A. References
    B. Experience in related care
    C. Criminal Hx - for your safety

    DO HOT hire a CG if there cute and sexy!!! Mistake. Been there and done that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    What questions outside of the obvious should I ask a possible live in caregiver. Its tough trying to determine a person you will be living with and depending on by a formal interview.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    Post

    I'm a little bitter from my first live-in experience so these actually would not be a good idea, but I'd like to vent just a little.

    My instinct for questions at the moment would be:
    -- would you recognize this as a job where you are an employee rather than just a friend helping me out of the goodness of your heart when it is convenient?
    -- Do you think that just because something is difficult or distasteful it doesn't need to be done?
    --Do you think I am dumb because maybe you’re used to dealing with people who have Alzheimer's and don’t get out of bed?
    --How many hours a day do you need to spend on your cell phone?
    --Do you really think your two weeks of training lets you know more about my body and my needs that I do?
    -- Is it that inconsiderate of me to ask to live my life? Would you prefer I just never got out of bed so I don't need transferring help?
    --Do you think 9 PM is a reasonable time to expect me to go to bed, despite the fact that I last did so probably at age 8?
    -- Will you say "hmph” when I have the nerve to ask to go to the bathroom and then can't, as if the problems of my body are all just a ruse on my part to torment you?
    --Do you think it's reasonable to ask a live-in to work six hours per day over the course of the 16 not sleeping?
    --Do you think it would be polite and professional to call me selfish and stupid and mean just for asking for help with a few things?
    --Would you recognize that I still can feel them and intend to need them someday, and try to be careful therefore not to bang my ankles at every opportunity?
    -- How much do you usually spend on groceries, and will that change now that I am buying them?

    I realize this might make me sound like the witch. But I really did try to be as considerate as I could, as easy and low maintenance as possible. She was just unbearable.

  6. #6

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    DO HOT hire a CG if there cute and sexy!!! Mistake. Been there and done that.
    There is one heck of a story in that pearl of wisdom isn't there, FreeBird?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    DO HOT hire a CG if there cute and sexy!!! Mistake. Been there and done that.
    You can do it if you don't desire to own them. Much better to have a beautiful lady around than the alternative.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Katilea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    385
    I had bad experience with helper too when I first had mobility difficulties and my flat wasn't adapted for wheelchair. I got helper 16 hours a week, it cost more than I was getting in DLA (my contribution - social services paid some of her wage).

    She didn't do what she said she would do in interview. ie I asked her work a sunday morning, she wouldn't do it but claimed the hours (get double pay on sundays and bank hols in UK).

    If I was stupid enough to mention I just needed housework doing next time she often would phone in sick but be back for next day when I needed to go shopping and I had to cover her petrol and food.

    I just went over her head to agency that found her and complained how you expect me to get ready to move house if helper wont turn up when I need any housework doing! Needless to say she turned up everyday for last few weeks before I moved and I fired her as soon as I got into a place where I could manage the kitchen and bathroom on my own!

    I'm managing as long as I can without help so can save up equipment, have started having more difficulty with speaking and now need communciation aid with strangers so it worries me that if I got another 'helper' like her they wouldn't take any notice of me cos I couldn't speak , shout or verbally complain at them!

    I haven't had a holiday since 2000 as I couldn't afford to pay someone to come with me and pay for my holiday and there's too!

  9. #9
    Ask if they drive. Most of the good questions are already posted above.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

    Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,540
    Not a question but I would include:

    --Be cognizant of how important you are to my daily life. Call in sick with enough time for me to call in backup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I'm a little bitter from my first live-in experience so these actually would not be a good idea, but I'd like to vent just a little.

    My instinct for questions at the moment would be:
    -- would you recognize this as a job where you are an employee rather than just a friend helping me out of the goodness of your heart when it is convenient?
    -- Do you think that just because something is difficult or distasteful it doesn't need to be done?
    --Do you think I am dumb because maybe you’re used to dealing with people who have Alzheimer's and don’t get out of bed?
    --How many hours a day do you need to spend on your cell phone?
    --Do you really think your two weeks of training lets you know more about my body and my needs that I do?
    -- Is it that inconsiderate of me to ask to live my life? Would you prefer I just never got out of bed so I don't need transferring help?
    --Do you think 9 PM is a reasonable time to expect me to go to bed, despite the fact that I last did so probably at age 8?
    -- Will you say "hmph” when I have the nerve to ask to go to the bathroom and then can't, as if the problems of my body are all just a ruse on my part to torment you?
    --Do you think it's reasonable to ask a live-in to work six hours per day over the course of the 16 not sleeping?
    --Do you think it would be polite and professional to call me selfish and stupid and mean just for asking for help with a few things?
    --Would you recognize that I still can feel them and intend to need them someday, and try to be careful therefore not to bang my ankles at every opportunity?
    -- How much do you usually spend on groceries, and will that change now that I am buying them?

    I realize this might make me sound like the witch. But I really did try to be as considerate as I could, as easy and low maintenance as possible. She was just unbearable.

Similar Threads

  1. websites to find a live in caregiver?
    By wheel123 in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM
  2. live-in online caregiver sources
    By jack in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
  3. live in caregiver
    By masterson20ca in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 05:49 PM
  4. live-in caregiver resourses
    By jack in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 06:02 PM
  5. Need Live-in Caregiver in Lakewood, CA
    By Tsavo in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 04:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •