Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Night with Dr. Hans Keirstead

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    thats actually pretty scary for us chronics. if they can eliminate sci for acutes they will say sci is cured and they can just let the chronics die off. its like people who caught polio right before the vaccination was discovered. talk about bad timing.....
    This is highly likely in my opinion. If a treatment works well for acute injuries, there will be real danger of this happening. As a relatively small and shrinking cohort with numerous factors that hamper treatment (osteoporosis, drop foot, profound atrophy), we will see interest in cure treatment wane if fresh injuries are no longer a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    This is highly likely in my opinion. If a treatment works well for acute injuries, there will be real danger of this happening. As a relatively small and shrinking cohort with numerous factors that hamper treatment (osteoporosis, drop foot, profound atrophy), we will see interest in cure treatment wane if fresh injuries are no longer a reality.
    on top of that acutes are probably more likely to be the focus because researchers know its probably an easier fix...

Blog Entries

Unfortunately very spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    thats actually pretty scary for us chronics. if they can eliminate sci for acutes they will say sci is cured and they can just let the chronics die off. its like people who caught polio right before the vaccination was discovered. talk about bad timing.....
    I've been predicting this for years.
    I'll refresh my organ donor card.

Eric, I remember the polio breakthrough also; getting shots of the experimental vacinne. The breakthreough was monstous though I didn't know the extent of it then. Those that lived in iron lungs passed. I hear what everyone is saying about acutes. This has entered my mind many times and causes reflection of the worst. I'm hoping that ,we as chronics, COULD get some benfit and improvement, even with the drop foot, etc. We'll know soon I hope, and hope Wise get's some results we can begin to discuss.

Anyone know anything about this presentation, how it was?

Thank`s in advance
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Don't you people remember any of the discussions on this board?

The "Chronic's will be forgotten subject" has been hashed over several times. The Geron therapy is only for acutes and won't work on chronic's, we already knew that.

I don't believe every injury new will benefit from Geron's treatment even if it does prove sucessful. Some injuries will either be too severe or possibly in a country where it's not avalible, that means there will still be new Chronic's and the need for Chronic therapies.

It's also has been discussed for some time that it will be a combination of therapeis that will lead to recovery, not one magic pill. That's why the work of people like Dr. Young, Dr. Kierstead, Dr. Davies and others is so important, and they are all working on Chronic therapies as far as I know.

It's my hope that the Geron trial is a success so more people don't have to suffer with paralysis like you all have and also to show the world this injury can be fixed creating a situation where more researchers and money comes to your aid. Not to mention proving human embryonic stem cells are useful in medicine and safe.

OK, Rjames, it is time for you to wake up.

'Dont you people', 'so more people dont have to suffer with paralysis like you all', 'come to your aid'.

Not sure who you think you are, but you may want to tone down a bit. And are you not in the same boat as most others on this board?

Most people on this board are on the edge of their seats waiting and waiting for that little bit of hope. Your words and post are not reallly needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiang View Post
    OK, Rjames, it is time for you to wake up.

'Dont you people', 'so more people dont have to suffer with paralysis like you all', 'come to your aid'.

Not sure who you think you are, but you may want to tone down a bit. And are you not in the same boat as most others on this board?

Most people on this board are on the edge of their seats waiting and waiting for that little bit of hope. Your words and post are not reallly needed.

My son is an SCI, I spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to help the research cause, Have fundraised over $200k so far, my phone is on 24/7 to talk to newly injured people about rehabilitation and treatments that aren't here. I feel I have every right to speak my mind.

Easy sebastion, rjames has every right, as do you, to offer his perspective and opinion. Hope is a very sensitive subject. And the realities of the application of cure-based procedures for SCI, acutes and chronics, is complicated on many fronts. If you fight this battle for a while, from the trenches, your education expands, reality tempers urgency, politics, funding, collaboration, and collective focus also become challenges and are also thrown into the mix. It's just not that easy, unfortunately. Painful realization, yes. Necessary perspective, yes. We never give up fighting for the cure but more of us need to understand the playing field, mission and opportunities. Simply turning a blind eye to all of the issues surrounding a cure doesn't make them go away. Different perspectives are healthy. Open dialogue and communication, very healthy.

Onward and upward.

Chris

Still havent heard how the presentation from Dr Keirstead went?