Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: walking MS and doors people helping out

My husband who is only 44 has MS, after 1 (kinda 2) attacks it left him in a power wheelchair with the use of only his right arm/hand. Has had it for 4 1/2 years now but anyway, when we go to the store or something he will stop at the end of an isle trying to give the young lady the right of way, or the elderly man but people always motion for him to go on instead. It bugs the sh** out of him to, here he is trying to be nice and respectful but then again so are they. I think its nice of people and have to say I would much rather it be that way then the opposite. Like when I am struggling getting him, the granddaughter, groceries, etc. thru a door, in the van whatever and people just push pass us like get the heck out of the way.

. My friends want me to go to the races, but I'l have to be pushed around in a chair for that, because I can't chance slipping in the mud or gravel there. I don't want to use the chair.....I'm not comfortable with it and be pushed around. What about the bathroom?..what if I have to go?.. I can't do it...I don't want to go to the races.

I'm so tired of this....so tired of all of it everything. -

I'm so tired of this....so tired of all of it everything. -[/QUOTE]

yep, me too!!

I dont mind help. I need all the help I can get. I find women are more nice to me now than before. I use a walker but what i really hate is when everyone is staring at me.

Unconstruct - I took David to the races here locally, he uses his chair full time, problem is the only place for wheelchairs to sit and be able to see the race is on turn three up on top of the pile of dirt they have to stop the cars, now mind you several times that pile of dirt doesn't stop the cars and they come flying right on top of there. How safe is that. But the help (ambulance) is sitting right there to so it must be safe right? ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    I'm so tired of this....so tired of all of it everything. -

yep, me too!!

I dont mind help. I need all the help I can get. I find women are more nice to me now than before. I use a walker but what i really hate is when everyone is staring at me.[/QUOTE]

Do you have MS?..

Everyone seems more nice to us when we are "handi" I actually feel more offended if someone helps me rather than tells me "hurry the frig up!" LMAO.

If someone told me to hurry up I'd love it..It would be like "pre Monster..errr MS times"

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Unconstruct - I took David to the races here locally, he uses his chair full time, problem is the only place for wheelchairs to sit and be able to see the race is on turn three up on top of the pile of dirt they have to stop the cars, now mind you several times that pile of dirt doesn't stop the cars and they come flying right on top of there. How safe is that. But the help (ambulance) is sitting right there to so it must be safe right? ha ha

That's cool, MSwife.. Here we have a pavillion devoted to "handi" It's easy to get in there because the path is level and pavement instead of crushed stone. See, I used to race street stocks then had two years driving a sportsman modified here in NY... I haven't been to the races since my legs went away and my bladder ordeal. I knew I had this thing, but didn't want to believe it until it made me believe two years ago. I guess going to the races will remind me of the good times, but at the same time I think I'l get depressed. I've sheltered myself for so long that it's going to be hard to break out of it.

They have the World Of Outlaw late model series coming on the 15th here and I would like to see them though... I may go, but I'm scared if I'll get depressed at the track and turn bitchy.... I don't want to be helped in the bathroom either..at the races it gets pretty hectic in them.... Maybe I can get wheeled over when it's clear then cane myself in there... I'll have to have my bud there to help me in the rocks though..it's al dirt and rocks..makes it hard to plant my feet and I'm afraid of falling and breaklng my arm..the only things on my body that work normal!! lmao.

I hope you go to the races. Maybe after the first time it will get easier.
    My husband does not like to watch fishing shows anymore as makes him feel bad he can't even bait a hook.
    We got to the lake and he was glad to see his boat being used even if he was not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unconstruct View Post
    yep, me too!!

I dont mind help. I need all the help I can get. I find women are more nice to me now than before. I use a walker but what i really hate is when everyone is staring at me.
    Do you have MS?..

Everyone seems more nice to us when we are "handi" I actually feel more offended if someone helps me rather than tells me "hurry the frig up!" LMAO.

If someone told me to hurry up I'd love it..It would be like "pre Monster..errr MS times"[/QUOTE]

Your way funny
    I have a SCI-L1, Asia C, since Feb 1 2010
    I ve been walking since April 4th and its hard.

I have a home aide and i actually hate that! Its hard watching this women in my house doing stuff i use to do. And i hate having to hear her great weekend stories- while I am stuck here watching TV.

every morning like clock work, 7 days a week @ 9am
    "HI Deebbbbiieeee, how are you!!! did you sleep well""
    why is she so happy??? and now i cant get back to sleep.
    i look at it like this- my aide needs me to stay disable so
    she can keep her job!

shes really nice and does a good job, but I hate that I need her!
    with her here remindes me that i am disable.
    so, i kinda know how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    I have a SCI-L1, Asia C, since Feb 1 2010

Wow that sounds expensive lol.

I'm pretty lucky that my MS allows me a lot of mobility even though I look to others that I am really really f'cked up lol What's a PITA with my MS though is that sometimes my leg wil be good then another day it wants to kick my other leg from behind tripping me. a week ago I kicked my own right foot from behind and this person comes running thinking I was about to fall lol.. I'm like "I'm good..I'm good, thanx bye.

I'm happy that you are walking.... I'm determined to walk as long as possible, but I know some day I won't be able to get out of my bed, but it aint now

Do go to the rces, DON'T leave your chair, unless you don't mind someone wandering off with it - been there, done that!