Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Detachment

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE View Post
    I agree with this. I can't believe some of the things people make the biggest deal out of.
    Isn't this the human condition? I'd worry about someone if they didn't make drama out of their life.

I don't have that issue with my parents as I tell them often how I love them. But with relationships its hard for me to care for someone. I often ask myself why I'm with them or what exactly the point is if they aren't bringing me any type of joy but rather bringing me stress. If I do care for them then it isn't an issue its just the part of me getting to care for them is the harder part but once it happens it seems to be fine.

I also find it strange how content I am with just being alone.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 06-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Todd thanks for starting this thread. With the exception of my mom,whom I love with all my being, I feel the same way some days towards others. The scary part is is that some days I feel exactly how Timaru and rehab rhino look at it.

When I have those days where I have no tolerance for some peoples drama I try to remind myself that if I were ab I would probably be the same. Many cc members became sci as adults. Can you remember all the petty issues that consumed you and in comparison to now how ridiculous it was?

I know divorce is hard but some days I think of it as a trip to disney when I'm sitting in a bowel accident waiting for help or lying in bed with the aide a half hour late and wondering if she will even show up. Not to mention that at times when they show up they come with attitude.

Yup, some days I am completely detached from most ab's drama. Unless you tell me that you or a loved one is terminally ill I don't want to hear it many days. Then I have to remind myself how selfish and insensitive it really is. I'm sure if I were ab I would be the same way. I would never know what it truly is like to deal with daily living skills as an sci.

I am often detached from others drama. But even with that said, I constantly struggle with how my heart feels and what my intellect tells me. My heart some days can be detached but my intellect tells me I should be better than that. And believe me many times it's not. lol

I don't want to turn this into a religion thread, please no one don't, but when I go to bed at night and talk to God about my problems I always preface it by saying to him, "with all the suffering that is happening on this planet not only in other countries but here as well I have no right to ask but I'm going to try anyway."

So Todd to answer your question, no you're not alone. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not either.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    So Todd to answer your question, no you're not alone. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not either.
    Aww! The love in this room. I'm tempted to jerk off, but then realize I don't feel much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Aww! The love in this room. I'm tempted to jerk off, but then realize I don't feel much anyway.

Do you mean this literally or figuratively?

By the way Todd, you should watch my favorite soap "The Young and The Restless." There is a storyline of a young woman who just went through a traumatic experience and is now detached from all of whom she knew before the trauma. Maybe I should drop her a line also. OK, I know I am setting myself up for ridicule as a soap watcher so I will put my protective gear on. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    By the way Todd, you should watch my favorite soap "The Young and The Restless." There is a storyline of a young woman who just went through a traumatic experience and is now detached from all of whom she knew before the trauma. Maybe I should drop her a line also. OK, I know I am setting myself up for ridicule as a soap watcher so I will put my protective gear on. lol
    To each his own, Cara, but I can't watch Soap Operas. The appeal just isn't there for me. You're actually in a bigger group than you might imagine. The ratings and appeal are apparently high enough to keep them going.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Isn't this the human condition? I'd worry about someone if they didn't make drama out of their life.
    But some people take it to far. An example is the woman on line ahead of me at the store the other day. The cashier ran out of quarters, so she told the woman she was going to give dimes for her 83 cents change. The woman started complaining about getting all of these dimes. Is it really that big of a deal? 8 dimes instead of 3 quarters and a nickel?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    For those with flattened affect, can movies, music, reading, or TV shows make you cry or experience other emotions?
    RehabRhino nailed it pretty much - though I would have looked at the 'jumper'! I think almost 30 years of complete C5 flattens most. I am generally the office 'ice man'...

Movies etc. can go either way. The one thing that sets me off is watching other people cry. It taps into a pain I rarely dare to acknowledge and I can start sobbing (though I can seem to stop it at will).

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber