Thread: wooden standing frames

I wonder how effective this wooden standing frames are?
    I'd not invest any money on that.
    The easystand 5000, 6000 are way much better.

every time you fall,
    stand up tall....
    come back for more

The work fine, but are totally manual. You need several people to hoist a quad into the stand. You can be build one for $100!
    Easy stand costs $4,000+

JJG

Not all insurances will cover standing frames, esp. outside North America. We used these wooden ones 10 years ago before the nicer ones were available.

For those without funding, or insufficient for a nice one like an Easy Stand, you can also make your own. Here are some plans:

Homemade Standing Frame

As Dr.J.J. said, with ones like this they are difficult to use alone except for people who are strong paras, but this is better than nothing. I have a friend who works in a clinic for very poor people with disabilities in Brazil, and they make something similar for their patients for less than $50 each in labor and materials.

(KLD)

I just built one of these from the plans SCI-Nurse posted above. It came out great and I am really happy with the end result. Back in rehab I tried a few manufactured stands and from my little experience with those I can say that the wood one works just as good for me. The only drawback is I haven't been able to get myself buckled in, which isn't a big deal for me because I don't live by myself. I can lift myself up, I just need someone to buckle and tighten the seat belt for me. Getting out and back into my chair is pretty easy and I can do that unassisted.

I highly recommend anyone that is thinking about purchasing a standing frame to seriously consider building a wood one. It's definitely worth a try considering the amount of money to be saved.

Attachment 35709