Thread: Raised toilet seat vs regular seat

Raised toilet seat vs regular seat

I know this had been covered many times, but was wondering if people are doing anything different that had not been brought up. So currently I use this raised toilet seat http://www.activeaid.com/products/101rts.asp which works fine. Although I have been traveling a lot lately and am tired of carrying the seat with me as it is a hassle. I'm worried about skin problems and not real sure how to go about a BP with a regular seat. I have the raised seat set up with the cut out on the side so I can get easy access. So my question is how does on get underneath to do dig stim and not make a mess? Any ideas or help would be great

What is your level of injury? Have you tried any other types of seats? With the one you showed, you need to be sure to have it higher than the toilet bowl so you can easily get under to do your bowel care (dig stim, clean up, etc.). It is padded which is nice, but not as portable as some.

If you have pretty good arm and hand function, on a regular toilet seat you may just try leaning forward or to the side (supported) to access your peri-anal area and do your care. Some people leave their wheelchair in place either to the side or in front of the toilet and lean onto this. This may work for travel so you don't have to haul this seat with you.

(KLD)

I have that model and the legs pop off , it fits in the suitcase no prob and is height adjustable.

I can't click on your link (but it is probably a problem on my end... I hate my comp), but I have one of those square raised toilet seats with a cutout on the side. When I got mine, it had a tear in the cover, so the vendor gave me a whole new cushion part, not the metal frame, just the square padded seat. When I travel I just toss that in the bottom of my suitcase. On a regular toilet I just set it directly on the toilet, and sit on it with no legs or anything. Clearance is rather low, but as long as your careful it gets the job done. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but if I am going somewhere less than a week or flying anywhere, I don't want to haul around the big metal frame.

I know someone sells just a padded toilet seat cover, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I can't click on your link (but it is probably a problem on my end... I hate my comp), but I have one of those square raised toilet seats with a cutout on the side. When I got mine, it had a tear in the cover, so the vendor gave me a whole new cushion part, not the metal frame, just the square padded seat. When I travel I just toss that in the bottom of my suitcase. On a regular toilet I just set it directly on the toilet, and sit on it with no legs or anything. Clearance is rather low, but as long as your careful it gets the job done. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but if I am going somewhere less than a week or flying anywhere, I don't want to haul around the big metal frame.

I know someone sells just a padded toilet seat cover, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.
    http://180psi.com/
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I use these at home, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    Thank you for that link; I've been looking for something like this for awhile.