Thread: Posture

Posture

I feel like my lower back(lumbar region) is arched more than normal when I lay down.

When l'm laying down on a workout bench I really seem to notice it. It's like my lower back is arched toward my stomach. I'm wondering If anyone else has this problem?? My injury is a t-5 and I'm 6'4. I've worn a binder, but I don't think that helps keep my back straight. Although, it does help with the stomach. I lie on my stomach at least once in a day to stretch my hips. I'm wondering If this is part of my injury or b/c I have a long torso? Or do I need to adjust my wheelchair?? Maybe see an Orthopedic?
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Does your back seem to be arched like that when you are sitting in your wheelchair? I seem to arch that way if the back of my seat is 90 degrees. I have it reclined a small amount (3-5 degrees) and that solved my problem. I am about 6"2".
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hiyaz Gang
    Eversince my last neck surgery etc... I found my posture changed also and In my case it is because of my physical buildup or the way I am in general
    Also I am very tall easily over 6ft more like 6'2
    Because I spend so much of my life in a chair I have a arched back

This will or may vary from pt to pt but I can see things from both of your perspectives
    Thank you
    Sincerely;
    Gypsylady

Talk to your DME about lumbar support in your backrest.