Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Husband is T3 Complete, closed head injury

I think that would be good reading for anyone just getting their license.

Ryan has been saying for awhile that he wants to talk to teens/new drivers about the responsibility of driving, what can happen if they're not, etc... And he's been asked to talk to a church youth group. So it will be nice once he starts doing that. We are going to print off some of the hospital and injury pictures to a poster size. If Ryan telling his story doesn't make an impression, hopefully huge graphic pictures will. Yeah, it's gory, but it's reality. The picture that is hardest for him to look at is the one of me kissing him while he's in the coma. He still gets teary eyed whenever he looks at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Jody,

Welcome to CC, its a wonderful place.

My son has a similar injury to your Ryan, he is a T4 Asia A Complete, he was injured 12/10/10 during surgery to correct a fluid leak. He walked into the hospital on 12/09 and now...well you know. His body is scarred looks very much like your hubby's, we spent 4 weeks in ICU including Christmas and New Years, (he was in so much pain on Christmas day we all sat in the ICU room with the lights out trying to be quiet) then 2 months in rehab, numerous hospitilizations due to UTI's and I am his caregiver. He is only 14 yrs old.

I had started a non-profit leadership program at the local university before the injury. I had to drop out but have recently re-enrolled, my first class is tomorrow, I am taking it slowly.

The surgeon and hospital staff that were involved in Robbie's injury have been caring, remorseful and supportive. I have found peace in that...I wish the same for you some day. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by moving. Please continue to post here, it is therapeutic.
    I would never encourage unjustified legal action, but if the doctor and hospital are truly at fault then you really must consult with the very best, high end medical malpractice plaintiff's lawyer you can find. SCI can be financially devastating, and there is no reason for that to occur when someone else is at fault and can pay the financial damages. It's only fair that they do.

Also, for those in vehicular accidents, you must look not only to the other driver (etc.) but also at your own uninsured motorists coverage and, in some states, at the owner of the vehicle if different than the other driver.

Also, for those of you who can afford it, getting the most uninsured motorist coverage for yourself or loved ones is something worth investigating. My accident was thought to be a hit and run accident for several weeks, and it would have helped me to have known that I had a lot of unisured motorist coverage (I did--just wasn't in good enough shape to remember it).

Maybe this will help someone avoid unnecassary financial distress on top of physical distress....of course please get good legal advice wherever you are because the laws vary from state to state.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Ryan could get involved in the ThinkFirst program. He would be going to schools, telling kids what happened to him & to thinkfirst about what their doing..drinking & driving, helmet, feet first first time, seatbelt etc. I've been doing it for a few years & you even get paid!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Ryan could get involved in the ThinkFirst program. He would be going to schools, telling kids what happened to him & to thinkfirst about what their doing..drinking & driving, helmet, feet first first time, seatbelt etc. I've been doing it for a few years & you even get paid!
    I admire you for doing that gurly2356. I have no doubt you have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I admire you for doing that gurly2356. I have no doubt you have made a difference.
    ditto
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post

That's great! I haven't heard of that program but we'll look into it to see if it's around here. Thank you for doing it, I'm sure you're helping to make the roads safer!

You are amazing. New injury, new house and new career. I believe in you. Welcome to CCC!

i have the same injury as your husband. my accident was also on a motorcycle. the helmet helps save your brain but not your spine. one piece of advice, dont write any thing on computer or facebook about his accident. when you are involved in litagation, any thing can come back and bite you in the ass.

Writing about it and having the support we've gotten is the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes. I appreciate your suggestions, but if this could go on for years, there's no way we're not going to talk about it for that long. Our lawyers haven't advised us to keep quiet about it. One even reminded Ryan that he is not the one on trial here.