Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Ryder FRH-1 vs. Top End Force G

Freedom Ryder FRH-1 vs. Top End Force G

Hi Everyone...
    Been looking at this forum for weeks trying to read everything there is about these two handcycles. I am hoping to get one in the very near future and am very torn about which one to get. I have rode both of them, and there is minimal difference for me. However I have logged over 100 miles on the FRH-1 and only about 5 miles on the Force G. That was just more by what has been available for me to borrow more than anything else. My sci is at T-6, and I'm fused from T-3 - L2. I throw that out there because of that, reclined positioning is very uncomfortable for me. I want to get serious about cycling and racing. Can you guys offer your expertise and opinion about which bike I should get? I have found I prefer sitting up and over the cranks, which I know isn't good for racing, I feel most powerful like that. Only prob is I pretty much degrease the entire chain with my torso by the end of a long ride..
    What should I do??
    (this is what I feel I've been doing for the last 2 weeks)

Looks like this post slipped through the cracks...Have you made your choice? I do not own either one so cannot be of much help.
    Oh I see you got some input from a different thread...

I've owned F/r's and Top Ends for a lot of years. I made my first H/c 35 years ago and have never been with out one since.

The new Top End Force models are very low to the ground; making it fairly difficult for we higher lesions to transfer in and out of. I set up a fairly good system which was posted earlier.

If you want to race against other handcyclists and be competitive, get a Force, Force R or Schmickling. If you want to do long distance, ride for pleasure and race but not place, buy the FRH-1. IMO the FRH-1 is so perfect for our level of injury.

With my old Top End Gold, I ws forever having to change the steering dampner and brake lever cable located on the handle. I've owned my FRH for over a year and still no cable breakage and the steering dampner will never break.

I think you would be much more comfortable on a F/R due to your fusion level.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I've owned F/r's and Top Ends for a lot of years. I made my first H/c 35 years ago and have never been with out one since.

The new Top End Force models are very low to the ground; making it fairly difficult for we higher lesions to transfer in and out of. I set up a fairly good system which was posted earlier.

If you want to race against other handcyclists and be competitive, get a Force, Force R or Schmickling. If you want to do long distance, ride for pleasure and race but not place, buy the FRH-1. IMO the FRH-1 is so perfect for our level of injury.

With my old Top End Gold, I ws forever having to change the steering dampner and brake lever cable located on the handle. I've owned my FRH for over a year and still no cable breakage and the steering dampner will never break.

Good info patrick I think I'm going with the FRH-1, I need to call them and ask them though if they have a 1 size fits all hand bike or if the FRH-1 comes in smaller sizes, I'm the average size of a woman or teenage boy

Did you pay the extra 300 for the memory foam seat? I function more like a para but my trunk control is still effected and my left hand is slightly but I'm pretty sure it can hang onto the hand bike with no issues. Any accessories you recommend?

Thanks
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 06-23-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

Maybe no one is reading this now but it caught my eye because I'm looking at a Top End Force 2 (would love a Force but it is closer to $4K. Anyway, I met a guy a couple of weeks ago who bought a new Force 2 and he told me last night that he is already replacing a steering dampner and is buying a few extras. He hasn't had his bike very long at all so it sent a red flag. Maybe this is normal...

It is normal Jay. The design is still not there. Doesn't take long to change but is a hastle, at least it was for me.

If you plan on racing. save up or buy a used Force, Force R or Schmickling. What's your level of injury, that would help a lot in getting you into the right bike. Do you want to ride or race? Big difference there also. I haven't heard of the quality of the Force 2 but figure it is using cheaper quality components.

I've had my FRH-1 for going on 2 1/2 years and still haven't had to change anyhting on the bike as far as cables or the dampner. Freedom Ryder uses a much better designed dampner that will never need changing.

Top End is a good bike for sure, I miss mine but just don't want to ride that low on the roads since I'm not racing anymore. The FRH is still a fast bike but like any upright bike, it won't be comparable for those that want to race.

A few other you may want to check out is the Lasher, IMO is overpriced, and the Varna from BC Canada.

POst before you buy, i'm sure the guys here can offer some good advice.

I can tell you that Freedom Ryders are built very well and the guys behind them are great. I met up with one of them in Portland last time I was there and they're good people. I have a 1995 model.

Has anyone had any experience with the FRH-1 in any sort of Off road setup or conditions?

It hard to put anytype of offroad setup on the FRH due to the fork clearance and the front wheel and the caliper width of the front brake.

The brake could always be changed out but would need to build a different configured fork.

Thanks once again Patrick. I talked to Bill from Lasher today and he was super helpful and very knowledgeable. I am leaning towards the Lasher ATH but its the price tag that Im struggling with.