Thread: Raised Toilet Seat Design ideas

Raised Toilet Seat Design ideas

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am an unemployed designer, with a creative mind, good sense of aesthetics and time on my hands.

I have recently chosen the lofty goal of designing a toilet seat. I am sure this effort will be the pinnacle of my Design Career.

Joking aside, I am very sincere in this effort.

In my research, I discovered a comment by Miss September wherein she stated that she mounted and dismounted the toilet with no further aids then the toilet seat itself. As odd as it may sound and as uncomfortable as it is to request: I would love to hear how people are doing this.

My goal is to create a toilet seat that is strong in every way, and optimized so that it can be used as the only aid by which an able upper body individual needs to mount and dismount the toilet. I have two designs that I hope to submit to the Patent office this week. I welcome any input as a "sanity check", to insure that I have not missed some important concept.

In addition to creating a design that is strong and functional, it is my intent to avoid another shortfall of current aids, which is that they all seem to be designed with the idea of Form Fits Function and have a medical, clinical or at best a industrial appearance. As silly or minor a matter as it may seem to be; it's time to design something that looks more like a piece of art or cool sports equipment than a crutch.

You're help is much needed and appreciated.

Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen6s; 06-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Pseudos of Pearls of Wisdom

An epiphany without action is a gift refused
    Last edited by Stephen6s; 06-01-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: mistake in sending

We obtained these a number of years ago from a company that has since gone completely out of business (with no tracks nor selling of their patent). It was called the Freedom Seat. We like them for the inpatient unit because they are strong, very stable, and easily removed so that another patient in the same room can use the toilet without a raised seat, or can easily still roll a rolling shower/commode chair over the toilet. They would work for home use as well, although not for travel, since you must permanently apply the attachment bracket to the toilet. The seat actually latches onto the metal plate that you can see where the regular seat attaches to the toilet bowl.

The only thing I would change is to make it just slightly higher so that there is more hand clearance are under the seat, and to make sure the metal edge there is not sharp. The pressure reducing pads on the seat could be replaced, which is a nice feature.

(KLD)

I just received a Big John Toilet Seat -- straight out of Land Of The Giants.
    Big John had a booth at the Abilities Expo; I had never heard of the product before.

I just installed it this evening and will plant my cheeks on it tomorrow. (Oh the anticipation!) Besides being oversized laterally, the seat also adds an extra inch or so in height, not a critical feature for me. The seat on the model I ordered is open in the front.

I'm an averaged size guy and weigh only around 150 lbs. give or take a french fry, but the overhang of the seat on the sides will, I hope, provide extra security. The underside of the seat is hollowed out on the sides to assist gripping.

Any attempts at prototypes yet, or are you still in the design phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen6s View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I am an unemployed designer, with a creative mind, good sense of aesthetics and time on my hands.

I have recently chosen the lofty goal of designing a toilet seat. I am sure this effort will be the pinnacle of my Design Career.

Joking aside, I am very sincere in this effort.

In my research, I discovered a comment by Miss September wherein she stated that she mounted and dismounted the toilet with no further aids then the toilet seat itself. As odd as it may sound and as uncomfortable as it is to request: I would love to hear how people are doing this.

My goal is to create a toilet seat that is strong in every way, and optimized so that it can be used as the only aid by which an able upper body individual needs to mount and dismount the toilet. I have two designs that I hope to submit to the Patent office this week. I welcome any input as a "sanity check", to insure that I have not missed some important concept.

In addition to creating a design that is strong and functional, it is my intent to avoid another shortfall of current aids, which is that they all seem to be designed with the idea of Form Fits Function and have a medical, clinical or at best a industrial appearance. As silly or minor a matter as it may seem to be; it's time to design something that looks more like a piece of art or cool sports equipment than a crutch.

You're help is much needed and appreciated.

Stephen
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input and responses.

As to the the Big Johnny seat, It is cool in the way of a Big 40's Buick. As a part of my research, I ran across the website and the video. These guys are doing a great business/service with this seat. I have no knocks against this product and wish them continued success. Thanks for confirmation that grips are important. I also have considered the importantance of this feature in my design.

As points of differentiation, my design is aesthetically appealling in a more modern sense than the Big Johnny and.... I've permited myself to go outside the boundaries of the classic form to optimise features.

The Design is complete.... so I think; however I've done enough designs to know that even when you think you're done, it pays to do a 'sanity check" or design review with an expert audience.

Currently, I'm working like a mad dog to get the patent in this week or next so that I can start sending out requests for quotes to Rapid Prototypers and Manufacturers.

It's important to get the Patent submitted before sending out the design drawings and specification to protect it from being stolen.

My goal is to have the first prototype by Mid-June. It's going to cost me $800 to $1200 to have it made. This is why it's so crucial to have your input and get it right the first time.

Thanks again

Just real quick,

I've been in the High Tech world for 25 years and have learned that it's important to understand what the software needs before trying to design optimized hardware for it.

If anyone can provide the specifics of the method they use to mount and dismount the toilet seat i.e. The order and position by which they place their hands or other upper extremities, when and where they push or pull, and how they center their weight during the transfer on and off. This information is invaluable to me in providing a product that best serves it's clients requirements.

At the risk of getting too greedy for knowledge

What's wrong with the ADA's common Bar configuration in public bathrooms? Or is it ideal? Feel free to vent problems that you've experienced with products (no product names necessary) whose features fall short of your needs.