Thread: Quad tool, manual independent leg bag emptying system

Quad tool, manual independent leg bag emptying system

Here is a leg bag emptying system that I have put together that allows me to empty my leg bag independently. It works fairly well with practice. Hopefully it will help some of you who can't do this by yourselves and allow you to handle doing this on your own.

In this pictured it shows the whole thing. When you put it all together it is essential to positioning the elbow, funnel handle and bag so that the bag lays perfectly flat on the floor when the handle of the funnel is in your shoe (see below) otherwise it can pinch the top of the bag shut and the funnel overflows. The half twist in the picture is not there when it is in use because the top of the funnel is then pointing at the ceiling.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 05-31-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Funnel with handle (metal covered in tape to protect foot from sharp edges). A small diameter but deep funnel allows lots of flow before backing up but can still sit close to ankle. My first system had a typical 45 degree kitchen funnel and I could only trickle the urine in, so it took a long time to empty a full bag and had many close calls of near overflows.

The 90 degree elbow really helps keep the funnel, tubing and top of bag in the right position and allows a much faster flow rate when emptying.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 05-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Funnel top view. Handle is bolted on with washers for more strength.

Emptying postion: Pull up pant leg to knee, slide foot forward a bit, hook handle in shoe. Position tube over funnel (notice added piece of extension tubing to allow aiming into funnel in close up below), ease open leg bag carefully (this is the most difficult part) and let bag drain via funnel into leg bag on floor.

Close up of extension tube.

When it is done, close leg bag, pull funnel with handle out of shoe, hook temporarily on spokes of wheelchair by hub. Pull down pant leg, pick up bag system by funnel (not handle, you don’t want to break it off with the weight of the full bag).

Roll over to toilet. And empty system. I do this by laying the bag on the seat of my commode chair, which is parked over the toilet, hooking the handle of the funnel on my commode chair handle and flipping open the bag and draining it through the opening of the chair into the toilet.

After it is empty I close it. Take it to the sink and run some cold water into it the rinse it out so it does not smell and then dump the water in the toilet.

Additional info:
    You need a bag you can open yourself. I use Bard Flip-Flow bags.

You need to be able to reach down to your ankle with one hand and get back up again. I hook with left arm back over my push handle (Hey! They are not just for rude strangers to give us unwanted pushes.)

When you get in your chair you have to make sure the extension tube below your leg bag is below the edge of your shoe at the ankle so that later when you go to empty the bag it is all in the right position.

Be patient. If you try to empty the bag too fast the funnel can overflow on your shoe (I will not be held responsible for your shoe laundry bill). I also run a funnel or two of water through the funnel at the sink before I start the process to make the top of the floor leg bag lay flat and flow easy.

Don’t wait until your leg bag is taut full before emptying it because it can bulge over the opener and it is harder to flip the valve open and if you are rushed it is hard to be coordinated and patient.

Practice with your bag empty until you figure out technique and positioning and have help nearby until you get good at it.