Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport wheelchair design survey (Commercial)

Post Airport wheelchair design survey (Commercial)

My name is Brad Presler and I have recently started a design firm called Envite Design. In order to show airports and wheelchair manufacturers they must get rid of the current wheelchairs in airports and other large public transport areas such as train stations because they are obsolete, we need to show that this is in fact the case. We developed a quick (2 minute or less) survey to gather information on how many people believe that a new wheelchair that allows for users to quickly pass through security, fit on the plane, and among other time saving and comfort giving features, eliminate the use of switching to aisle chairs. This information is crucial in continuing the development of this new and improved wheelchair design. We need as many people to show interest in this as possible, like you.

The link to the survey (on surveymonkey.com) is below...
    AIRPORT WHEELCHAIR SURVEY

If you would like, join the facebook group Airport Wheelchair Survey for updates on the development and production of the design!!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or ideas!!! and Thank You in advance for reading our post and for any information everyone who chooses to help contributes!!!

Brad Presler
    Envite Design (Columbus, OH)
    Envite.design.research@gmail.com
    614-260-2427
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-31-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Clarify title

I am curious, who is the target audience for this? Most of the people with severe spinal cord injuries like myself have our own wheelchair and would not benefit from improving the wheelchairs at airports.

target audience

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I am curious, who is the target audience for this? Most of the people with severe spinal cord injuries like myself have our own wheelchair and would not benefit from improving the wheelchairs at airports.
    Hi,
    I'm looking for as many people as possible that would utilize the airport wheelchairs. I put a posting on here hoping that if the person reading it wasn't someone that could benefit from the new design, then maybe they know someone who can benefit and the information about this post, the survey, and the new design can be forwarded to them. As expected, I've had tons of responses saying that such a chair would benefit people, therefore giving the airports and other mass transportation areas reason to switch to the new design in the new future. The more responses the merrier though, so keep them coming!!!

Airport wheelchairs as you have described do not make sense.

As the previous poster said, I have my own and could not travel without wheels under my behind.

Thinking reasonably, the people who use airport wheelchairs from the door of the airport to the plane somehow had to get from their car to the door of the airport. Usually that mode of transportation is WALKING. Many people with mobility disabilities have difficulty walking longer distances, but are able to walk short distances. This is why they need the use of a "hospital grade" wheelchair in the airport. Many of these people are also capable of walking through security (all of 4 steps through a metal detector) and from the door of the plane, onto the plane (utilizing bulkhead seating if necessary, or holding onto seat backs for stability).
    When wheelchairs really become a pain in airports is when people who use them 24/7 travel. We can't get from our car to the door of the airport without the use of the chair, we can't take the 4 steps through the metal detector, and we can't walk from the door of the plane to bulkhead seating. Last time I traveled with my chair it took twice as long (if not longer) than anyone else to go through security b/c they had to check my chair, my backrest, my seat cushion, my AFO, my water that I brought for medication, and the list goes on. Get to the gate, wait for pre boarding, transfer to the aisle chair and remove my cushion, etc. and PRAY that my PERSONAL wheelchair does not get damaged between the time I let the ground crew take it to store under the plane and the time I am reunited with it at the next airport. Get strapped into the aisle chair to the point where you can't move and then pulled down the wayyy too narrow aisle of the plane and transfer to a seat that I will be sitting in for the next X number of hours without being able to get up to stretch, use the restroom, etc.
    IMO...we don't need to revolutionize airport wheelchairs, we need to revolutionize regular wheelchairs to be better used in airports. THAT would be a godsend. Make an ultra lightweight rigid wheelchair that could fit down the aisle of an airplane, be stored inside the closet of an airplane (again, a rigid, non folding chair) so you don't have to worry about the ground crew damaging your chair, etc.
    Sorry for the rant...
    What does everyone else think?
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Whatever happened to the aisle chairs from the 1980s that had large rear wheels that could be removed to get you down the airplane aisles. They had a wider seat than the one pictured below. They were more like a standard manual wheelchair and less like a fridge dolly. I believe they were referred to as Kennedy chairs??? Anyone remember them?

VQ, they went the way of the dinosaur when the airlines decided to squish more seats into economy class. That made the aisles more narrow, and the era of the fridge dolly was born.

Envite Design, you're looking for old people, not people with disabilities who use wheelchairs FT.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

comments to the comments

CurvySAT05 described the exact situation we have researched in airports for the last 2 years. The new wheelchair is not only being designed to help the user but also for the airport and the time restraints and safety for employees at such a transportation center. A mass produced, at home, everyday wheelchair with the stated qualities is in the works, as we greatly think that this is an area of huge concern for most.

Thehipcrip also had a very good point... We may have put this posting for this wheelchair on "the wrong forum", but the chance of finding people who know people who may be able to use such a wheelchair is far greater posting on this site and many others like it than by not posting. If you know anyone who would need such a chair, please pass this survey and our contact info provided in the survey along!!!

The information stated by everyone else is a great help as it shows the objections airports and wheelchair companies may have that we must overcome. Overall, once designed and "marketed" to the correct groups of people, airports, etc and introduced to the areas of the world where people will use them, we think that the benefits will be huge to those who utilize them; Travel through airports, etc will be appropriate for many more people than currently can fly comfortably. We hope to hit and improve on as many issues as we can in this new design. Please keep the comments coming!!

You're trying to re-invent the wheel.

What made you think such a product is necessary?

From the looks of your survey, you are very unfamiliar with what is available and on the market. Instead of saying you are creating a new chair when you are unaware of existing product lines and more specific individual items (chairs), learn what is out there by reading.

Have you ever seen a person who does not use a manual chair each day try to use one? It's not pretty. Power chairs can be worse for people unfamilar with operation. That would be an enormous liability for airport authorities.

Learn all you can about the general market of mobility devices, about those you see as "competition" (existing wheelchairs and mobility devices) and then, consider asking people to take your survey. when you learn more about what is already available, you may find a different niche.

Don't ask others (us) to do your homework for you. Learn about chairs inside and out, the strengths, weaknesses, expenses involved, what it takes to push a chair, cushioning which may or may not be involved, how to maintain chairs, how to handle inevitable bowel and bladder accidents on chairs used by the public, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Whatever happened to the aisle chairs from the 1980s that had large rear wheels that could be removed to get you down the airplane aisles. They had a wider seat than the one pictured below. They were more like a standard manual wheelchair and less like a fridge dolly. I believe they were referred to as Kennedy chairs??? Anyone remember them?

I always felt like Hannibal Lector when getting loaded on to a plane in one of those chairs.