Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to pay caregivers

how to pay caregivers

more than once I have had a caregiver disappear after they got paid without giving notice. What is the best way to have a little peace of mind?
    How would this work? I would pay the caregiver every two weeks. I would keep a portion of their salary the first pay period that would be returned if they give me two weeks notice when they decide to quit. If they don't give me two weeks notice, they do not receive the money.

Is this legal and ethical?
    Would it discourage caregivers from quitting on the spot after they are paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hos View Post
    more than once I have had a caregiver disappear after they got paid without giving notice. What is the best way to have a little peace of mind?
    How would this work? I would pay the caregiver every two weeks. I would keep a portion of their salary the first pay period that would be returned if they give me two weeks notice when they decide to quit. If they don't give me two weeks notice, they do not receive the money.

Is this legal and ethical?
    Would it discourage caregivers from quitting on the spot after they are paid?
    Although it is irritating it is not illegal not to give two weeks notice. It is illegal not to pay someone for services rendered. I would suggest the carrot instead of the stick. Promise a bonus if they stay a month, also I have found tipping well goes a long way.

Tom

Hi Hos,

I agree with the carrot approach. If possible give them a bonus after 6 months, then if possible double the bonus at a year. Let them know about how the bonus works and how much it is. If someone's doing a good job for you toss them a a surprise extra $20 or $50 on payday. I have always let my care-givers bring there children, this too is a type of bonus they're unlike to find elsewhere and saves them from spending on daycare. I've even baby sat kids 4 and up at no charge while my care-giver runs their own errands. (I telecommute now, so I'm usually at home.)

I will also hire the one whom I'm most likely to get along with over one who is better trained but with whom I may clash.

In the end there's no guarantee. I've had live-aids leave unannounced in the middle of the night and also while I was at work. (Numerous times.) The problem seems to occur much more with live-in than with live-out.

Blessings

Are you paying them out of pocket, or through IHSS? If the latter, they have regulations about payment that you need to follow, including NO supplementation of pay with cash. This would preclude giving bonuses as suggested above.

Do you have a contract with your PCAs? Do you specify the amount of notice required? Do you have any incentive for remaining on the job such as periodic salary reviews/raises?

Do you check references and do a background check that includes employment stability?

(KLD)

No Vacation Nation

I was surprised to learn on the weekend that the US is the only country in the Western world not to mandate vacation time. My care aides accrue vacation pay every pay period. That's an incentive to stick around, not that they couldn't leave post vacation.

KLD's advice on using a contract is sound.

We don't need no stinking vacations, we're Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I was surprised to learn on the weekend that the US is the only country in the Western world not to mandate vacation time. My care aides accrue vacation pay every pay period. That's an incentive to stick around, not that they couldn't leave post vacation.

KLD's advice on using a contract is sound.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    We don't need no stinking vacations, we're Americans.
    Better living through pharmaceuticals

Yours is a stressed-out nation...look in the politics forum for confirmation. You need time off to relax; it makes a worker more productive in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    ...You need time off to relax; it makes a worker more productive in the long run.
    Hah! Our employee handbook used to say something like that. Last year there was a crunch; no vacations unless specifically approved by the VP. I checked the online handbook - guess which sentences had been removed?
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you paying them out of pocket, or through IHSS? If the latter, they have regulations about payment that you need to follow, including NO supplementation of pay with cash. This would preclude giving bonuses as suggested above.

(KLD)

You have got to be kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bspill1 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me?
    About what?? If you are getting IHSS, you should have been notified of this in writing when you first applied.

(KLD)