Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: U of A discovery offers promising research for spinal-cord injury treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    It is cure related because serotonin is an essential component of plasticity that is required for recovery. I don't know what you consider to be care-related but I consider anything to do with recovery to be cure-related. Wise.
    I thought it sounded like they hope their research will relieve people
    of spasms.

The pair says the next step in helping patients who won't be able to regain control of muscle contractions is to examine how to block these serotonin receptors to stop the spasms from occurring, in particular by using already available drugs or by designing more targeted drugs.
    Wouldn't that be 'care' related research? Either way, hopefully
    it helps people.
    Last edited by Buck503; 05-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Two University of Alberta professors may have found the mother lode in medical breakthroughs in spinal cord research. If their theories come to fruition, there are not enough Nobel Prizes on this earth in which to award them.

Spinal injuries, besides blindness which are two of the most devastating injuries on the planet could on day see the disabled become able bodied, a miracle of science.

http://www.examiner.com/x-29795-Vanc...h-breakthrough

quote:

If their theories come to fruition, there are not enough Nobel Prizes on this earth in which to award them.

I agree totally with his statement, the person who will get the cure it will be priceless. Maybe it will be a large group of scientist and doctors who will combine their findings together and come up with the right combination to give us the cure. I cannot wait to see what will be when it comes.
    Last edited by manouli; 05-31-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Most of the news i get to read are about recovering motor functions. I dont know you guys, but my first priority is to recover 100% sensation in my whole body. Compared to that "feeling cure" i don't care about motor funcition.

Don't forget feeling fellows
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck
    I thought it sounded like they hope their research will relieve people
    of spasms.
    That's how it came across to me. I do not want to cast a shadow on any positive research, but from my perspective, when a headline states "Offers Promising Research", I guess I'm guilty of not thinking 10-15 years down the road from now.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Most of the news i get to read are about recovering motor functions. I dont know you guys, but my first priority is to recover 100% sensation in my whole body. Compared to that "feeling cure" i don't care about motor funcition.

Don't forget feeling fellows
    It's the opposite for me. Sensation would be nice, assuming I wouldn't be in agonizing pain 24/7, but only motor function recovery would make me less dependent on other people, which is the real bane of sci for me, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    That's how it came across to me. I do not want to cast a shadow on any positive research, but from my perspective, when a headline states "Offers Promising Research", I guess I'm guilty of not thinking 10-15 years down the road from now.
    HA! I agree. In my observation, thinking in decades applies to 90% of the
    current research. But I don't think Wise is in that 90%.

Hey every little piece of the puzzle helps. The way I read it is the finding could be two fold, better control over spasms & a better understanding of neuron functioning and the role that Serotonin plays in that functioning. The more they learn about how the spinal cord functions the closer we should come to a treatment. How can you fix something if you don't fully understand how it works. I'm thinking the more they learn the easier it will be to develop treatments.

pump

Maybe Serotonin pump (77% serotonin and 23 % fampridin) is coming soon?!
    sign me up!
    Seriosly, after reading that article in Toronto's "national Post" and learning about mechanism of Serotonin action, I have noticed some coincidence on the way my body is functioning in relation of building up the "charge" before I can make certain leg movements. For example, I can move my leg - let's say move my toe or bend my knee....even push my leg down - but only when I really focus and after some time...like I am building a "charge"....maybe that's Serotonin I am actually pushing through my damaged / narrowed spinal cord??
    maybe I should try AP.....
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    It's the opposite for me. Sensation would be nice, assuming I wouldn't be in agonizing pain 24/7, but only motor function recovery would make me less dependent on other people, which is the real bane of sci for me, personally.
    I agree... each injury is different and obviously i can't compare mine to yours for that matter.

Hang in there.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

scaper, less dependency on other people and able to walk again would be my goal. To gain independence again would be a blessing to us all.