Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am a walking para L1 burst fracture 17 months out from my injury

Hey just wanted to jump in on this. I was an L1 burst fracture with fractures through the thoracic reagion. Walk, with difficulty, have the bowel/bladder problems. Weak hips. Often say if u cut me off at the waist then straight down the legs, the back quarter of me is still paralized. Have some feeling in arch of foot and big toes. Going on 8 years for me.

arndog,

thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry it took me awhile to get back to you, I forgot to bookmark this forum and was having a hard time finding it agai! I will follow your advice and fill out my profile. I do use an AFO, I do not have a wheelchair and am looking into arm crutches for assistance. My walking is extremly limited and the thought of walking in rough terrain like snow seems like an impossibility! but the idea of being able to do things like that especially with 3 year old twins would be a dream come true! We live in rural Illinois on a farm with woods, ponds, creeks and heavy machinery and I am limited to taking the boys outside when others are around to help as they easily outrun me and danger abounds when they are out of sight.

~Nikki

L1 Compression Burst Fracture 09/09/05 (was 17 at time of accident)

I am 5 years out of the hospital and I can talk around with and without a cane, although have numbness in feet, part of calves and hamstrings/butt, erotic area. Weak hip flexors and lost all my glutes but I am trying to work on getting them built up again. I have found that when you work muscles, the feeling comes back, if not feeling the control does (atleast for me). Doc's told me I would be confined to a wheelchair...

Went from not feeling anything at all from waist down to wheelchair, to walker, to AFO's and now I use a cane for balance purposes...

I went to Xcell Center last year (11/12/09) and did their treatment. Right after the treatment I immediately felt strength in my calves. I got 13,000,000 cells injected with a 96% vitality rate. The docs said I should be back to 100% :shrug:

Was thinking about going back this year for a second but they are being pretty stingy with giving discounts so I decided to wait (they offered to take $500 off from the price) lol

Now, I can walk around with and without a cane, and even drive. I have no plantar flexion, but I do have the feeling to do it which tells me that I might be able to re-gain it if I start exercising on it. I have regained A LOT of dorsiflexion and eversion as well as inversion from doing exercises with thera-bands. I have bladder/bowel problems too but I am able to control them a bit.

IT is hard as hell to stay motivated especially if you lived a very active pre-accident lifestyle, but the best thing to do is keep your head up and never give up!

lol, did my post kill this thread or what?

deleted wrong post
    Last edited by marycsm77; 11-19-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: delete

Hello all! I'm a 37 year old male that on August 11, was flying a powered parachute and had a catastrophic failure in flight. I landed in the Arkansas river and had multiple injuries including a burst L-1 fracture. I'm nearing 3 months from the surgery date (the 22nd of August) and today was able to walk with a walker. I feel like I am going to be able to walk again soon without the aid of a walking device. My biggest issue/fear is the bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction issue. My neuro doc says he feels very confident that it will come back in 6 months to a year. I'm of course scared to death about it not coming back.
    One question I've been trying to find out about is, how dangerous is it to have urine output around 700-800 ml? Its happened a few times even cathing at 4 hour intervals. I'm super nervous that I may have damaged my bladder or kidneys.
    I just joined this group. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Dear Aviator

Sorry to hear about ur injury dear.

I am 30 and also LI injury patient with loss of bladder bowel and sexual function since 1999.

Do really pray that God give you every function back soon and u live normal life again.

Dont worry and lose hope.

Best wishes

JAWAID

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly_Aviator View Post
    Hello all! I'm a 37 year old male that on August 11, was flying a powered parachute and had a catastrophic failure in flight. I landed in the Arkansas river and had multiple injuries including a burst L-1 fracture. I'm nearing 3 months from the surgery date (the 22nd of August) and today was able to walk with a walker. I feel like I am going to be able to walk again soon without the aid of a walking device. My biggest issue/fear is the bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction issue. My neuro doc says he feels very confident that it will come back in 6 months to a year. I'm of course scared to death about it not coming back.
    One question I've been trying to find out about is, how dangerous is it to have urine output around 700-800 ml? Its happened a few times even cathing at 4 hour intervals. I'm super nervous that I may have damaged my bladder or kidneys.
    I just joined this group. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
    That much urine can cause reflux. You may have to cath a bit more often. I think they usually recommend no more than 500cc to be safe. I dont think it is a big deal every now and then to have a high output, but if it becomes regular it can cause problems. Maybe one of the SCI nurses can give you more information.

I know at night i tend to "dump" urine. After laying down for an hour or two I have to get up and cath even if I cath before i go to bed. I think my body relaxes. then i am usually good for the night. I dont have a lot of urine during the day but i still cath regular.

Firefy - I agree with medic1 's answer. Most people and urologists (I guess they are people too) feel that above 500cc in not a great idea. If that happens a few times nothing bad will happen.

Really what you need to get is a test called Urodynamics from a Urologist. This is the key bit of information that describes your bladder and what kind of pressures you develop at different volumes of urine. The recommendation is to get one of these urodynamic tests every 2 years.

If you have a big floppy flaccid bladder , then your pressures may not be that high at 500 cc. But if you have a spastic bladder or a less floppy bladder, your pressures could be dangerously high at 500ccs. That pressure hurts the kidneys over time. So a few times is not going to do anything.

My pressures don't start to rise above 25 mm Hg until after 700cc. So I am probably okay to void 400 to 600 each cath but I try to aim for 300 to 400cc. If there is more, I leak and that is annoying. It took time for me to figure out when to cath. I tend to make more volume between 8am and noon. Then it is dependent on how much I drink. I must have been a slow learner because it has taken a long time to figure out when to cath despite my injury being 8 years ago. You are new to it. I came to the conclusion that I really hate leaking and changing clothes so I err on the conservative side and cath sooner than later. That works for me. My personal largest cathed was 1300 cc - not a record that I am proud of.

The other thing I would mention is that you should probably cut and paste your note and start a new thread in the care section rather than the exercise section. If it okay with you , I could move the last 3 posts for you.

same. cauda equina, braces, styx,