Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am a walking para L1 burst fracture 17 months out from my injury

I am a walking para L1 burst fracture 17 months out from my injury

Is there anybody out there in a similar situation to me would love to chat about it

Quote Originally Posted by bwallace View Post
    Is there anybody out there in a similar situation to me would love to chat about it
    Fractured t6, t12, burst L1.

My right leg is close to normal, left leg suffered the most. I left inpatient rehab hospital almost 1 year ago able to do almost 400 feet in a walker.

Today I, almost always, walk without a cane. I'm walking at about 2/3 normal speed (with twice the effort!) and balance is still not where I would like it due to weak hip flexors. I have pretty good dorsiflexion but my plantarflexion sucks.

Started riding my bicycle about 8 weeks ago---again at about 2/3 the "old" speed.

Bowel and bladder issues

How 'bout you?

Compression fracture L1. Walking easily but blader bowel and sexual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Compression fracture L1. Walking easily but blader bowel and sexual problem.
    What do you mean by "walk easily" and how long after injury did it take you to reach this point?

I posted original comment i had a severe l1 burst fracture rqd 10 hours of surgery. i had to teach myself how to walk all over again. I am now a year and a half out and am just starting to come close to a normal pace and gate in my walk. have bowel bladder and sex function problems as well as extreme numbnes in my heels and all up my backside and thru my entire groin. i have made a lot of progress motor skills wise but not much from a sensory standpoint which is very frustating. since i have no feeling in my heels, buttox and sides. I am constantly uncomfortable no matter what position i am in, but you get used to it deal with it and hope it improves.

Welcome! I walk part time, use the chair part time. My SCI is at T8-9. I'm approaching my 3-year anniversary.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I was walking in rehab about 500 feet with walker and leg braces but it was killing my upper body. I have nothing in left leg and 50% maybe in right hip and quad. I am a L1 burst fracture as well. I fell 32 feet from a ladder right on my back and ass. I had 2 surgeries but now I just use a wheelchair full time. I have a standing frame that I use everyday adn I too am having bowel bladder sex issues. I am also coming up on 3 years in July, the 25th to be exact at 1345 hrs. Weird how u remember the exact time huh. By the way sounds like your doing great keep up the good work.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I posted original comment i had a severe l1 burst fracture rqd 10 hours of surgery. i had to teach myself how to walk all over again. I am now a year and a half out and am just starting to come close to a normal pace and gate in my walk. have bowel bladder and sex function problems as well as extreme numbnes in my heels and all up my backside and thru my entire groin. i have made a lot of progress motor skills wise but not much from a sensory standpoint which is very frustating. since i have no feeling in my heels, buttox and sides. I am constantly uncomfortable no matter what position i am in, but you get used to it deal with it and hope it improves.
    Wow. Your situation sounds so much like mine except your recovery to normal speed and gait. My gait is starting to improve and speed is getting better, but the level of effort is still very high, I'm only 13 1/2 months post injury still seeing improvement. Its hard to believe I might return to normal speed and gait but I'm working hard to augment what ever natural recovery I might be lucky enough to gain.

I have the constant discomfort thing, but I deal with it without meds. My left leg has a lot of numbness, numbness on the bottom of both feet and the back of both thighs and buttocks. I have good sensation all the way down to through the belly, numbness begins right at the point that allows me to cath without discomfort and mess with sexual function

Are you still seeing improvement?

yes i am but it is very slow my most noticeable change is increased strength in my legs but that just started happening about 2 months ago. hang in there and keep fighting and i bet you will improve.

L1 compression fracture Asia C

sugery was on 2/1/2010- docs told me i only had a 20% chance of walking again. While in rehab the only thing i could move were my right, and left toes. I came home and decided to purchase a walker, and with my family help i stood up for the first time on March 25th. It was hard to stay up but my muscles seem to be comming back-all of a sudden i could move my legs. i stood up every hour for five min. I walked for the first time on April 4th. i fell a few times and got very scared of walking, but I knew I had to keep trying. Now i walk with my walker, and by my self. i am working on balance. I hope my legs get more strong because I have a very hard time with steps. I dont have any B&B issues but sexually kinda not there. Any ideas on how I can get stronger????