Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ceramic bearings

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    That is going to be difficult, Red Bulls are very fast jeje.
    Yes they are...now, if only Vettal would quick making little mistakes!
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    When I roller skated and trailer boated, I would regrease all bearings once a year. I'm thinking I will do the same on my chair. For skate bearings, we pulled the bearings, soaked them in kerosene, dried them overnight, then worked in a white lithium grease by hand. It really helped.
    My recommendation is to only change the rear wheel bearings if a problem develops.

As for caster bearings, why clean and repack when removing/replacing is not expensive and may provide better results?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    My recommendation is to only change the rear wheel bearings if a problem develops.

As for caster bearings, why clean and repack when removing/replacing is not expensive and may provide better results?
    Because I only spend my money foolishly when I have to.

The rest of the time I spend it on women and booze.

Ending is not better than mending.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    For SS bearings, replacing is relatively cheap; for hybrid ceramics, not so cheap. Can of grease = really cheap. My own labor = priceless.

OK, after watching the very impressive 8min video from TotoL1 I ordered the exact ceramic bearings for my Tilite ZRA that he used for the video. And since I had to pay $10 for shipping I decided to order a second set for good measure.

I just put them in tonight, THEY BARLEY FREE ROLL FOR 8 FLIPPING SECONEDS!! what the hell, compared to the stock steel ones they free roll for the same amount of time. So I replaced bearings that were fine in the first place and blew over $100.00 when I could have bought the same amount of bearings for $8. awsome.

They are installed correctly, they are sealed both sides and it doesn't need lube since they are new so am I missing something?

Anybody???
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

All new bearings require a break-in period during which they turn slower than their potential. For skates, break-in took a couple hours of constant skating. Give them a bit of use before you judge them. (Also double check the spacer installation (right place, right length) - if spacers are not right, the bearings will bind.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Probably you have tight to much your caster axles and you are slowing the bearings.
    Last edited by totoL1; 11-04-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Loosen the caster axles, if too tight they act like brakes. The screws need to be tight enough to not fall of, but not so tight as to brake. It's a bad design...

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Probably you have tight to much your caster axles and you are slowing the bearings.
    Not true. My caster axles are tighter than a gnat's ass and now I'm getting 3 minutes of spin. That's what bearings are for. Allow metal to turn even though it's tight.

My video, link below, was filmed minutes after installation. Mine are skate bearings. VXB are machine bearings. There's a difference in the preparation of the product if not the actual construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAUgOQJXeM

I (my wife) picked up some bearings a couple weeks ago, I just haven't installed them yet. They are standard steel bearings but they appear nicer than the stock caster bearings, in that they have a much better seal and they are nicely lubricated.

The last time we removed my casters to remove hair, we lubricated them a little; I had not done this before and I feel it made a difference.

I am surprised RB is able to tighten his casters so tight. My situation is like that of others, it is a fine balance.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982