Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ceramic bearings

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    On the link Toto gave, for my chair front-caster hybrid bearings (SS and ceramic) were $8 US each; Full ceramic were $40 US each. (Full SS bearings are typically $1-2 US each.)

Chas

that is not the hybrid ceramic bearings that i`m using, i use this $9.95 each one, mines are ABEC 5

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    Crazy. Are you running ceramic bearings on all fours now?

Have you considered full ceramic or do you believe that is overkill?

Besides the caster bearings shown in your video, do you have a suggestion for the rear wheel bearings?
    I`m only running with ceramic bearings in the casters, full ceramic are very expensive and don`t worth, did you see the video with the caster rolling? so what do you want more?
    is more important to have good bearings in the casters than in the rear wheels, because the casters go with more revolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    What kind of prices are we talking?

Has anybody changed the bearings on their rear wheels yet?

How hard is it to change out your bearings?
    Is not hard if you know the way to do it.

hybrid ceramics ABBC5

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Skateboard-Cer...efaultDomain_0

Keep in mind, however, that getting them for a little more from a local shop could be worth the effort in terms of having some one to call when you need bearings immediately.

hybrid ceramics ABBC5

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Skateboard-Cer...efaultDomain_0

Keep in mind, however, that getting them for a little more from a local shop could be worth the effort in terms of having some one to call when you need bearings immediately.
    So these should work in the front casters? I have 5 inch wheels on the caster, quickie GTX chair. I think maybe I'll get these if they do and then see if my friend wants to buy the other 4 for his chair, this way it will only cost me $26.00.

Can you really feel the difference by replacing just the caster bearings with these ceramic ones? Sure does look like they spin a lot better, right now with my worn stock ones the casters spin about 2 seconds.

Also does anybody have a ebay link for the stock rear wheel bearings, those are worn out too on my chair, the wheels move side to side too much.

Replacing the bearings is easy you just pound them out with a 1/4 inch 6 inch long extension catching them close to the id and hammer and then use a socket the size of the o/d to gently tap them in.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 08-07-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Toto… Not looking for more revolutions. I am beyond impressed by 8 minutes. What I am looking for is greater weather resistance. That's why I have titanium. That's why I get rid of steel wherever possible. I deal with a lot of water and a lot of sand. $40.00 per bearing is too much. All my bearing problems have been the failure of the balls, not the track so I'm going to try hybrid.

Toto… Not looking for more revolutions. I am beyond impressed by 8 minutes. What I am looking for is greater weather resistance. That's why I have titanium. That's why I get rid of steel wherever possible. I deal with a lot of water and a lot of sand. $40.00 per bearing is too much. All my bearing problems have been the failure of the balls, not the track so I'm going to try hybrid.
    Hey there. I'm in the same boat.. (no pun intended) You ever looked at plastic bearings?

You are not going to have problems with them in water, the hibrid has a stainless steel rim.

Got to say, I am really impressed with this thread and the video speaks volumes. That said, no "sealed bearings" are actually sealed... You submerge bearings in water and they will flood. I think I'll switch to the ceramic bearing for the front and continue to use the buc a bearing in my water/sand chair and just replace regularly. Toto L1, you are a wealth of knowledge to this forum. Perhaps you could help Ferrari find Alonso an extra tenth a lap to make sure he wins the F1 Championship?? roller.

When I roller skated and trailer boated, I would regrease all bearings once a year. I'm thinking I will do the same on my chair. For skate bearings, we pulled the bearings, soaked them in kerosene, dried them overnight, then worked in a white lithium grease by hand. It really helped.

The skater videos say generally to clean them and then regrease after every third session of getting soaked in water. Using my patented wheelchair experience transmogrifier, I'd say that's about quarterly.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Toto L1, you are a wealth of knowledge to this forum. Perhaps you could help Ferrari find Alonso an extra tenth a lap to make sure he wins the F1 Championship?? roller.
    That is going to be difficult, Red Bulls are very fast jeje.