Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: ceramic bearings

I thought the deal with ceramics was they didn't use lube. That's what made them fast.
    The Mobil 1 won't last as a lube, only because its a liquid and will run out on the floor. That is why steel bearings use grease. The simplest explaination is: grease is just oil captured in soap. Grease isn't just a lubricate, it also seals out dirt and moisture.
    When these ceramics fail, what do they look like inside? Balls ground up? When you take them apart and clean out the "dust" are the balls loose compared to new? Could the "dust be the balls being ground up?

They indeed need lubrication. I am not an expert on bearings, but my understanding of a benefit of ceramics is that they are truer that steel bearings.

Time will tell, but if we used your logic on not being able to use Mobil 1 (oil), it wouldn't work on a bicycle chain either.

What happened to me is that the lubricant dried up and the bearing wouldn't turn well. The ceramic bearings themselves are just fine, no damage; after adding lubricant, oil, they are rolling better than ever now.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Isnt ceramic stronger than steel? I'm thinking about high quality knives switching from metal to ceramic.

Ceramic bearing balls can weigh up to 40% less than steel bearing balls, depending on size and material. This reduces centrifugal loading and skidding, so hybrid ceramic bearings can operate 20% to 40% faster than conventional bearings. This means that the outer race groove exerts less force inward against the ball as the bearing spins. This reduction in force reduces the friction and rolling resistance. The lighter ball allows the bearing to spin faster, and uses less energy to maintain its speed.
    They also have less chance of rusting, right? I read this entire thread but it was a while ago...
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.