Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathtub Transfers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bathtub Transfers

I've been thinking about trying to get in my bathtub for the first time since my injury. I'm traveling soon and it would be a great help if I didn't need to bring my shower chair with me. Plus it might feel good to take a regular bath every once and awhile. I'm T9 complete and am completely independent and competent with floor transfers in and out of my chair. Not really sure which method I should try first, but I've had a few ideas. Any tips on how to transfer into a regular old bathtub, without any hand rails?

Quote Originally Posted by drinkypoo View Post
    I've been thinking about trying to get in my bathtub for the first time since my injury. I'm traveling soon and it would be a great help if I didn't need to bring my shower chair with me. Plus it might feel good to take a regular bath every once and awhile. I'm T9 complete and am completely independent and competent with floor transfers in and out of my chair. Not really sure which method I should try first, but I've had a few ideas. Any tips on how to transfer into a regular old bathtub, without any hand rails?
    I can get in and out of a tub if I have to, but its a bitch and have never done one without hand rails. Most hotels have rooms with roll in showers, I am a t8 and practically live in hotels and have never traveled with a shower chair. Just call around and get a room with a roll in shower, you can even search for them on hotels.com. Pict of the shower in the hotel I am in right now.

Tom
    Last edited by t8burst; 05-29-2010 at 08:40 AM.

I agree with t8burst. Bathtubs transfers are among the most dangerous, especially without a good setup. The shower benches are a better option. If not available, sponge baths are the more sensible option. Better to be a little dirty rather than sporting a fracture or worse in an unfamiliar place.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I agree with t8burst. Bathtubs transfers are among the most dangerous, especially without a good setup. The shower benches are a better option. If not available, sponge baths are the more sensible option. Better to be a little dirty rather than sporting a fracture or worse in an unfamiliar place.
    A supply place here in KANADIA sells / rents a portable lift that lets you use yer slider board over and onto it and then lower yerself into the mmmmmmmmmmmm warm water.

If you practice a few times how to get in and out it will help you to be sure if this is something you can do by your self. I use a shower bench at home but never take with me when travel. Front of my chair to the tub, put the breaks on, lower my feet in tub and slowly slide my self in, once you are in adjust to your needs and you done. Getting out is a bit more work, try to raise your butt and sit on the tubs edge in front of your chair, then pull your self in the chair, first few times i remember all the swear words i ever knew. I recommend some soft padding in the tub for rear and for the back. i hope this will give you an idea, good luck.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Same as above for me. Getting in there is pretty easy! Use several towels for padding. The transfer out can be a real bear.
    Andrew

I used to transfer into the bathtup all the time when I was younger. I'm T5 complete - I'd just stack towels on the tub edge, transfer to my chair to the towels, and lower myself into the tub. It was tricky with no handrails, but with time, it got pretty easy. I was able to transfer into and out of a hot tub in a similar fashion.

Nowadays, I'd probably buy something like this. There are many powered bathtub lifts out there that you just transfer onto, and the rest is all about pushing buttons. Good luck.

http://www.allwebscooters.com/0322.asp
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I used a 2x4 cut to length, laid across the BACK edge of the tub against the wall. This GREATLY aided my grip when lifting my butt up and out to sit on side in front of my chair. If your chair has removable footrests, remove them so u can get your chair closer/facing the tub, It was easier for me to xfer into a chair facing rather than a chair beside of, the tub.
    Get some camping foam from wally whirled and stack 2 or 3 pieces under your butt. Watch your butt for redness til u r sure the length of time u can stay.

I also left my socks on until seated, it stop ur feet from sticking, especially if tub is already wet. Careful with the water temp!!

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    If you practice a few times how to get in and out it will help you to be sure if this is something you can do by your self. I use a shower bench at home but never take with me when travel. Front of my chair to the tub, put the breaks on, lower my feet in tub and slowly slide my self in, once you are in adjust to your needs and you done. Getting out is a bit more work, try to raise your butt and sit on the tubs edge in front of your chair, then pull your self in the chair, first few times i remember all the swear words i ever knew. I recommend some soft padding in the tub for rear and for the back. i hope this will give you an idea, good luck.
    I do the same thing at hotel bathtubs since I prefer a bathtub to a roll in shower when I travel. The only thing I'll add is the most obvious thing but I have forgotten it before - make sure you dry off the side of the tub wherever you'll be pushing off from. My tub at home is too deep for me to transfer directly out of it, so I transfer onto a shower bench and then onto the edge of the tub.

I would highly recommend that you try the transfer several times at home prior to doing it in a place where you may not have any resources to help you. Make sure that you are careful with the transfer and that you don't sit too long on the hard surface. Also, be
    careful with the water temp.
    You should be able to do it - just need some practice.
    CKF