Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birth Control

Thanks for the info, Quad79 and Ashley! I'm definitely going to be asking at my sci unit about IUDs then (as well as other options, of course). For some reason, I had it in my head that IUDs were completely out for me.

My periods aren't major problem for me- apart from the mess and more difficulty cathing, but I would be happier if they were lighter, for sure. I get a little bit of ad (from what I presume is the cramps I got as an ab, that I now can't feel), and my legs go a bit stiff though.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Does mirena have any hormones in it or does it just block the pathway so you can't get pregnant?
    I'd like to know this too.

the mirena website says it has the hormone levonorgestrel

from http://www.mirena-us.com/what_is_mir...rena_works.jsp

Mirena (levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) slowly releases very small amounts of the hormone levonorgestrel directly into your uterus.

There is no single explanation for how Mirena works. Mirena may:
    • Thicken cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering your uterus
    • Inhibit sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg
    • Make the lining of your uterus thin
    Mirena may stop the release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases. Most likely the above actions work together to prevent pregnancy. Like other forms of birth control, Mirena is not 100% effective
    I also love the fact that it's good for up to 5 years, very low maintenance!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Thanks for the replies...
    I'm not 100% sure that the Mirena is what's causing my issues, but everything I was attributing to one cause or another seems to also be connected to the Mirena. I didn't do a lot of research before hand(unlike me) but I went on experiences of people I knew, the fact that I knew I shouldn't take the pill, & the problems I'd been having with increased spasms & pain pre-period(which are gone, as well as my period)...but it seems that every issue I'm having is ultimately on the list of side effects(although independently listed as minor or rare) and when you combine them together you get for a whole messed up system & at least 70lbs of extra weight that even Topamax isn't helping to get rid of...I love my Mirena for what it's supposed to do, but I'm concerned that it's causing all these other problems...I'll get it figured out...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

good luck chelle, unfortunately one method sometimes doesnt work for everyone!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing View Post
    Thanks for the replies...
    I'm not 100% sure that the Mirena is what's causing my issues, but everything I was attributing to one cause or another seems to also be connected to the Mirena. I didn't do a lot of research before hand(unlike me) but I went on experiences of people I knew, the fact that I knew I shouldn't take the pill, & the problems I'd been having with increased spasms & pain pre-period(which are gone, as well as my period)...but it seems that every issue I'm having is ultimately on the list of side effects(although independently listed as minor or rare) and when you combine them together you get for a whole messed up system & at least 70lbs of extra weight that even Topamax isn't helping to get rid of...I love my Mirena for what it's supposed to do, but I'm concerned that it's causing all these other problems...I'll get it figured out...
    Hey Chelle,

I was in the same boat and I never really was sure if the mirena caused all my side effects, until I had my hormones tested and found they were very out of balance. I've had my hormones tested before having the mirena and they were within a healthy range, so that told me that it must have been the mirena. If you check here: http://detoxscientific.com/mirena-weight-gain/ You'll find a long list of side effects and studies being done on the mirena and its various side effects. I had my mirena removed and started to feel normal and lose weight, so it is definitely something to look into and consider