Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control

Birth Control

Since we're at a higher risk for blood clots already... is there a particular Birth control brand that is best, that would limit the extra risk?
    Is this something I should be worrying about or am I being paranoid?

I'm surprised there aren't any replies to this yet, it's such an important part of our lives!

I don't think you're being paranoid at all, I just wish I had an answer for you. I'm sure that in the hormone-based category there could be a brand with a balance that might be better for SCI women; I haven't been able to find (internet-searching) any evidence of studies that have identified one brand being better than another, just recommendations that condoms and IUDs would be a safer alternative to hormones. Those methods are a little more work and less-desirable for committed relationships, but if you're worried about clots it might be best to be safer with these.

Even before I began having sex again after my injury, I opted to get the Essure procedure, which is a permanent, non-surgical alternative to tube-tying. I understand that might be a drastic step for a lot of women who may not be so sure they want to give up someday having children, but I'm very happy with the results.

More info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essure
    Last edited by Jades; 06-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.

I used condoms/spermicide at first after my injury but that resulted in my oldest daughter....
    Then I used Depo which caused weight gain, depression and resulted in the long gap between my kids....
    Now I have a regular copper IUD, my only regret is not getting the Mirena as it usually reduces or eliminates periods.
    I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids though...might consider getting a tubal when this IUD expires.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    I used condoms/spermicide at first after my injury but that resulted in my oldest daughter....
    Then I used Depo which caused weight gain, depression and resulted in the long gap between my kids....
    Now I have a regular copper IUD, my only regret is not getting the Mirena as it usually reduces or eliminates periods.
    I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids though...might consider getting a tubal when this IUD expires.
    Emi,

I've got some concerns about some things I've been having going on that might potentially be related to the Mirena...I initially thought it was a Godsend...and I haven't had a period in almost a year...I LOVE THAT...but with all these other things going on with my body & some things I've been reading on some other forums about Mirena side effects(that are EXACTLY what I'm dealing with, scary) I'm seriously considering having mine removed & wondering about getting the copper IUD....How happy are you with the copper IUD? It's going to be a couple years before we are ready to have kids(yeah, I know, I'm getting old but we want to be married for a bit before we have our 1st)...I'm concerned that the combination of hormonal bc, SCI AND Topamax(it's an anti-seizure med, they're ALL bad with hormonal bc, even if you take it for something other than seizures, like a lot of us do for neuro-pain, or others that are used extensively for Bipolar disorder)

Anyway, I'm wondering how happy you are with the copper IUD? What kind of side effects have you had, if any? Did it have any effects on your period or cramps? One of the reasons I WANTED the Mirena was to reduce the severe spasms I was having prior to my period. I don't typically have a very long or heavy period, but I was getting such bad leg spasms & back pain that made me not able to function...I NEVER had cramps prior to my SCI, so this was totally new to me & hard to function with...

I'd like my life back to normal & I think maybe the Mirena is largely to blame...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

My period is a bit heavier I think, hard to say as it varies, but not anymore crampy than before....
    Thats good to know about the Mirena, I'm finding it hard to justify pulling the one I have now and switching when the one I have is working fine...
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I thought IUDs were really not recommended for those with sci? Something about not being able to feel it properly if something goes wrong? I'm confused.

I'm considering my options re: birth control. I want to try Depo, but I'm wondering if anything like this (hormones) might not be a good idea for me. Because my sci was caused by a blood clot. I'm going to ask at my spinal unit in 2 months time anyway.

You're right, keps. However, you or someone else can do string tests to make sure it's in place.

I LOVE my Mirena IUD. My period is now gone & pms/pmdd is no where near as bad. I found a great gyno that has worked w/ sci'ers so hopefully you can. She made sure to be prepared for AD, monitored my bp & had bp lowering drug on hand. I also took pain pills pre-insertion just to be safe. I feel it was my best choice & a year later, haven't regretted it one bit.

I didn't want to freak out & talk myself out of it so I didn't do much research beforehand but did afterwards. Yes, Chelle, there are alot of unhappy/unhealthy people. I'm sorry you're one!

i have the mirena also and it's a godsend. lightened my periods and reduced the spasms id get around my time of the month. I think for those who experience AD you would be able to tell that way if there was something seriously wrong with its placement. In my opinion, its the safer option over the depo shots which lower calcium levels in your bones and the pill which has higher risk of blood clots. Plus the mirena is the most effective bc, something like 99.9% effective, i want to say i've heard it's more effective than sterilization!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Does mirena have any hormones in it or does it just block the pathway so you can't get pregnant?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash