Thread: Low white blood cell count

Low white blood cell count

After going to a new Dr, found out my white blood cell count is 2,500 when the normal is 4,500-10,000 cells per microliter. Apparently it's been low since 2006, which is the oldest record they had. Went to a Hematologist yesterday, he had no answers. Ruled out leukemia or anything else serious, all the other counts were normal. Not related to medications. He wondered if it could be related to my SCI; c5, 16 years post?

Besides the occasional UTI every few years and ultra severe central pain, haven't had any other illnesses or infections.
    Last edited by Fragile; 05-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Are they doing anything to up your cell count? My son when he was little was always coming down with colds and such. They noticed he had a very low whitle blood cell count. So they tried numerous treatments to get it up. I dont remember what they all consisted of. I do remember the last treatment was a series of shots in his buttocks that was rather painful and they said if this didnt work he would need to get a bone marrow treatment. (if I am remembering right, its been 12-13 years ago) Thankfully the shots did it and his count has been normal since.

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Not doing anything yet. Have to go back to the Hematologist in a few weeks. He took 6 vials of blood to test.

I experienced a similar problem. After multiple tests, baclofen ended up being the culprit. Good luck in finding some answers. Frustrating I'm sure!

I would think with the common uti's, etc that individuals with sci are prone to, you would be more likely to have a high wbc. As far as I know this is not a complication related to your injury, but it could be related to your medications.

CKF

I agree. What meds are you on, and how were they ruled out as the cause of your low white count? SCI alone is not a cause of low white counts, but many of the meds people with SCI take are common culprits. Baclofen, Macrodantin, etc. are often associated with this.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I agree. What meds are you on, and how were they ruled out as the cause of your low white count? SCI alone is not a cause of low white counts, but many of the meds people with SCI take are common culprits. Baclofen, Macrodantin, etc. are often associated with this.

(KLD)
    I haven't been on anything long term, have been trying lots of medications for central pain. Currently, Lyrica since November, Savella for about two months. White cell count has been low since 2006. Prilosec off and on.