Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

new...

Well, I'm new and not too frickin happy about it. I'm really lucky with a very wimpy cauda injury. Don't even know if injury is the right word, docs don't acknowledge it. A couple did, in kind of a sideways way, but hell, I'm walking around, working the same job, cooking dinner at home, wife taking care of baby boy, I try to keep the girls from danger. Can still play with them pretty physically. Just have some pretty unnerving symptoms happening that I'm glad I can keep people from noticing.
    Big ol' disc at L5-S1, very incomplete cauda symptoms slowly showing up after acute phase- I think. Bad resolution MRI 11 days after the big ouch, showed no cauda compression, just thecal indent'n. But that cauda looked a little snug to me. Do they NOT look at MRI pictures with the patient all the time, or just when it has something kinda bad that they plan to ignore since it's really not something they want to attach their names to?
    Anyways, they say cauda is "unpredictable", which i fear means "we can't tell you how bad it will get or how long it will take... at all". But my docs say "don't worry, you're being stupid!" So it's hard to argue with that.
    Thanks to all for making this site work. I've picked up useful and frightening information here.
    Last edited by matt9; 05-27-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: highlighted

Hi Matt9, I respect your candor.

Well sorry you have a reason to be here....Welcome

Hi Matt,
    Sorry you are dealing with any of this, but glad you found this site to help give information and more.

Welcome to the site Matt, glad you found us.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

This is a great place for information. Glad you found it.

If there is one thing I've learned over the years it's that you can't be afraid to get tough with the medical community, challenge everything and get a second and third opinion if you don't think you are getting the care you need.

Stay strong!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

When Dave was in rehab one of the family service workers kept telling us that when we got home we would know more about SCI than most docs we would meet. I thought he was crazy-but he was right. I have learned to be assertive and even a b*tch when needed. We have a great primary doc, the rest have been ignorant or worse. The RTs are our best friends.
    The information on CCC has been a huge help too.

Thanks, all. Lucy and Linda, I'm coming to understand what you're saying. One doctor, a physiatrist, told me constipation is not a symptom of CES. Now, I gotta believe he knows that's not true, but I don't know which is more alarming, he was lying or he actually didn't know? Either way, I feel silly going to apptmts where they just tell me not to worry and I walk out just like a normal AB. I could push for an EMG or whatever, but that sounds painful, and I don't see much benefit coming from getting an official diagnosis.
    Bladder seems to be slowly getting worse, as does toe and foot pain. It's all completely tolerable at the moment, I'm just hoping the progression stops right here. No harm in hoping.
    Matt

I would get a second opinion if the symptoms are getting worse (even if the change is slow). You don't want any damage to become permanent.

Two colace a day help with the constipation. Plus, make sure you're getting enough fiber and fluids.

How long ago was "the big ouch" ?

Are they saying it will heal on its own or stabilize?

Like I said earlier, learn everything you can and don't be afraid to get pushy. You are your own best advocate.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Medical doctors suck! There must be some kind of conspiracy interwoven through med school curriculum that slowly and methodically takes away their humanity.

Like others have said, I'm glad you found us, but sorry you had to.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem