Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoyer Lift Questions

Hoyer Lift Questions

I'm going to get a hoyer lift for my relative- a female about 110 lbs. I have been her 24/7 caregiver, but I'm going back to work and another relative will be staying with her and can't lift her like I can.

I have a few questions.

Anyone know a good brand and company to work with that takes Medicare?

Can these be used by one person to transport another person safely with a PT doing some sort of initial training?

Is there anything else I need to ask or look for? I really don't know much about these.

Do they come with some sort of belt so the person doesn't tumble out?

We did try a Beasytrans slide board, but it seems not too stable.

Anything other than a hoyer lift I should be looking at?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by mocusm; 05-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.

My husband weighs over 200 and one person can safely move him from bed to commode and chair. The sling is hanging over the lift in the picture.
    I don't know about the other questions. Hope this helps.

Hoyer is a brand name. It is just one of many companies that makes mobile patient lifts. Other than the Hoyer Advance, I cannot recommend that brand. It is a good lift that also folds up very compactly for storage, and can be used for travel. I would also recommend you look at the Molift Smart for the same reasons. A power lift is easier and safer for the caregiver, but will of course be more expensive. Be sure to get one that offers a lot of different types and sizes of slings for special needs. I would stick with the major companies: Arjo, Liko, W'East, Guldmann, Sure Hands, and Barrier Free are some of these.

Medicare only infrequently pays for lift equipment, including mobile lifts or ceiling track lifts. If you end up having to purchase on your own, shop around as prices vary widely, and you can sometimes get a great deal on used equipment (check out eBay).

(KLD)

Thanks to you both so very much, I appreciate the input

A few points -
    Notice the hardwood floor in LindaT's post. If there's any carpeting, rather than hard flooring, it will make use of a lift (other than ceiling mounted) much more difficult.
    No belts, etc are needed - the sling for any lift holds the person very securely.
    Lifts are not designed for safely transporting a patient for more than a couple of feet.
    - Richard

Good point about the wood floors. We sold our house and bought this one when we were away in rehab.(THAT was an experience!) We had the floors installed while we were gone. Saved on labor because a relative did it.
    We are going away for the week-end and will be the first time traveling with it. There is carpet where we are going and I am anticipating needing some help pushing it.
    Back to topic, I hope you are able to find one. SCI nurse's suggestions as always good.
    The only problem I have is when he is in bed getting the sling stuffed under him. He is big and I am not strong. Leaning him forward in the chair and stuffing it to put him to bed is easy. Your relative is small enough tha tit should not be as difficult.

Thank you
    We have carpet, but it's really "thin"
    I just want the lift to be able to get her from the couch to the wheelchair, the wheelchair to the toilet, etc.

Blog Entries
    As for safety, the various slings available are pretty secure. The manufacturers and you tube have demonstration videos available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2my...next=1&index=5

This one is a bit dragged out, but gives you the idea
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

As far as transferring to or from a couch, unless there's a free space of several inches under it, you'll need to place it on wood blocks or something, in order to have clearance for the lift's legs and casters.
    We had a tight carpet, but boy transfers got a lot easier when we replaced it with hardwood.
    When you do move over carpet, be especially careful not to push it from high up, as there's a risk of the lift tipping over. Push from no higher than the lift's handlebars, and keep the legs wide apart.
    - Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by mocusm View Post
    Thank you
    We have carpet, but it's really "thin"
    I just want the lift to be able to get her from the couch to the wheelchair, the wheelchair to the toilet, etc.

Hard surfaced floors (tile, vinyl, etc.) are much safer and easier with a mobile lift. Even industrial 'thin' carpet with increase the effort required and increase the risks of the lift tipping over. It does not have to bee wood.

(KLD)