Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with urinary catheterization when i want to travel or on an airplane?

Question What to do with urinary catheterization when i want to travel or on an airplane?

What to do with urinary catheterization when i want to travel or on an airplaine?
    I do intermittent catheterization every 4 to 5 hours, and sometimes every 2 hours (when i am drinking...), but what i want to know is what to do on an airplane? shall i use indwelling catheter? if not, how can i do intermittent cathetertization on an airplane? can i take KY gel or other lubrincant on an airplaine!!!!!!
    Please help

Quote Originally Posted by moor View Post
    What to do with urinary catheterization when i want to travel or on an airplaine?
    I do intermittent catheterization every 4 to 5 hours, and sometimes every 2 hours (when i am drinking...), but what i want to know is what to do on an airplane? shall i use indwelling catheter? if not, how can i do intermittent cathetertization on an airplane? can i take KY gel or other lubrincant on an airplaine!!!!!!
    Please help
    same question...any answer?

yes you can take lube onto the plane. keep it wiht ur catheters in a baggie so they don't question what it is.

it depends on where you are going. i try to book 2 hours or more between flights so i can cath after departing. this rly helps. my mitro helps as on my trip to hong kong the 1st class bathroom is huge. they have an aisle chair on the plane that i transfered onto and then onto the toilet and urinated. i think if i had to take off my pants, it'd be harder. i did have diarrhea both on the way and back (ugh) but just told the flight attendants and they let me have my space. it was still a nightmare. i didnt eat anyhting on the way back home (19hrs)

getting an indwelling catheter for the plane ride is good as well. just let the airport ppl be aware (you can ask for a private screening).

for bowels, i just do magnesium citrate 1 - 2 days before i leave and coming back i just fast if it is a longer trip. otherwise i wait til i get home.

don't drink any beverages on the plane/dont drink any liquids for a minimum of 3 hours before departure
    take zinc as it helps with jetlag
    take ur aspirin to help prevent dvt
    wear compression stockings to prevent dvt
    don't eat airport food. if u are hungry, limit your eating to snacks/fruit
    in ur carryon bag have the following items: catheters enough for 2 days, gloves, lube, baby wipes, alcohol wipes, immodium advanced chewables. as well as ur meds if u r taking any

hope this helps
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I catheterize during the day too but I just use a foley (with the balloon) and leg bag for flights. You never know how long your flight might get delayed or you might sit on the runway, have mechanical problems, weather delays, etc. Also the seats are so packed in together....you won't be too willing to whip out your dick and catheterize yourself if you got a weirdo or little kid next to you.....at least that ain't my thing. Also, they confiscated my Shoo Goo (Roho cushion repair glue) once without telling me. I wouldn't trust those dick-head TSA pukes even if their tongues were notarized.

The other option for the KY jelly is to get some of the small packets. They are well under the 3 oz rule. Or for travelling, get a smaller tube. While I agree that the TSA agents can be unwielding on the rules, I believe that if you explain things in a polite manner, they generally respond the same way. If you are going to be staying in one place, you can ship things ahead of time to your destination, making for less stuff to carry. I know that Fedex/Kinkos does that. The earlier you send it the cheaper it is.

Using a foley is probably the easiest way to travel - it allows you to drink plenty of fluids and to not have to worry about cathing.

CKF

CKF: i travel a lot and they question the large tubes but when i explain or they see it with my urinary supplies then they get it. havent had any issues! the shipping idea is a good one too! some of those companies have contracts with airlines but i have never used that service.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

We are goung on a 5 hour flight, my husband usually caths ever 2 to 3 hours.For the foley caths can you insert them yourselvee? Or what about the condom caths? Are they just a condom that drains into a bag? First time he will be flying since SCi 2 1/2 yrs ago. Hes a T8.

I have used a self-contained system (I use Rusch/MMG), and thrown a blanket over my lap and used a bungie to hold the front of my pants out of the way. When ya gotta go...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3/4 ASIA A 21 years post injury

I usually travel with someone and I try to select a window seat. If and when the flight is too long, my companion covers me with a blanket and I cath right there with a an empty bottle (water, coke etc.).
    Never Give Up!

thank you for your info