Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Segway wheelchair - Looks excellent.

  1. #1
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751

    Segway wheelchair - Looks excellent.


  2. #2
    Looks excellent if you are an AB and can get it out the the back of the vehicle. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Looks excellent if you are an AB and can get it out the the back of the vehicle. lol
    No reason why it couldn't be made modular so you could take it apart
    and put it in the passenger seat like a regular chair.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    No reason why it couldn't be made modular so you could take it apart
    and put it in the passenger seat like a regular chair.
    Possibly, but some of the components are going to be heavy. To facilitate transfers, it would also need some kind of stabilizers.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Possibly, but some of the components are going to be heavy. To facilitate transfers, it would also need some kind of stabilizers.
    What power chair is out there that doesn't require you to drive it
    into the vehicle? ???????


    This is actually feasible for a transfer into a regular car if it
    came apart in small enough parts.

    And it's not huge! All the weight over the drive wheels, my first thought
    was it would be great for trails.
    Be interesting to see what kind of incline it would be capable of dealing
    with.

  6. #6
    Checkout the videos linked here... http://www.youtube.com/user/LayneBuiltLLC

    I am an incomplete para from TM and walk with a crutch. I also have a Segway. They are amazing and very capable machines. They also have an offroad version.

    The model featured in the videos linked above are heavy. They weight about 100lbs. Not something that can easily be tossed into a vehicle.

  7. #7
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Checkout the videos linked here... http://www.youtube.com/user/LayneBuiltLLC

    I am an incomplete para from TM and walk with a crutch. I also have a Segway. They are amazing and very capable machines. They also have an offroad version.

    The model featured in the videos linked above are heavy. They weight about 100lbs. Not something that can easily be tossed into a vehicle.

    That is awesome!! That is actually exciting!

    Those little legs that drop out the back to stabilize it so he can transfer are pretty slick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Checkout the videos linked here... http://www.youtube.com/user/LayneBuiltLLC

    I am an incomplete para from TM and walk with a crutch. I also have a Segway. They are amazing and very capable machines. They also have an offroad version.

    The model featured in the videos linked above are heavy. They weight about 100lbs. Not something that can easily be tossed into a vehicle.

    Do you have any video of you getting on and off your segway ?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Do you have any video of you getting on and off your segway ?
    Sorry, I don't. I generally "park" it against a wall or some solid object when I get on and off. My left leg is much better than the right, so I put that one on the platform first, then kinda drag my other leg up while leaning on my crutch.

    Segway Chat forums have a section on disabled use and is a good place to ask questions. http://forums.segwaychat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

  10. #10
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Sorry, I don't. I generally "park" it against a wall or some solid object when I get on and off. My left leg is much better than the right, so I put that one on the platform first, then kinda drag my other leg up while leaning on my crutch.

    Segway Chat forums have a section on disabled use and is a good place to ask questions. http://forums.segwaychat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Thanks.. great link.
    This looks like it may be one to watch.

    http://segsolutions4freedom.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
  2. A segway wheelchair
    By Wise Young in forum Equipment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. segway?
    By filbert2 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
  4. Segway Use
    By jime in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
  5. Segway
    By LBRS in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •